Crib Goch

Anyone know how much more difficult Crib Goch is compared to Sharp Edge in the Lake District?

I've never had a problem with Sharp Edge, but Crib Goch looks like quite a step up.

Yes but wouldn’t do,it in rain , wind or snow

6 of us went few years back, actually was the day we lost to Arsenal when Mario got sent off in 2012, hadn’t intended going along Crib Goch, just going up Snowdon. Anyone lad we were with, Royal Marine, asks who fancies going that way. Us knowing no better all day yes, fuck me nerve racking. It snowed all the way, was windy as fuck but we had a good laugh. Would like to do it again on a clear day but can’t get the Mrs to try it yet.
We had a couple of vids on you tube.

Shows how bad the weather was.

Last edited:
Anyone know how much more difficult Crib Goch is compared to Sharp Edge in the Lake District?

I've never had a problem with Sharp Edge, but Crib Goch looks like quite a step up.

Sharp edge is shorter. Has no pinnacles. But these can be avoided on Crib Goch. Both ridges similar sharpness on the very top. I would say Crib Goch wins it for me as it's a classic way up a great mountain. Sharp edge is a back door route up a great mountain and I suspect most people go down it then back up as to put it in a route up is a bit convoluted? Imho I think they are of similar difficulty. Anoagh Eagach is a step up from both as you can't avoid the pinnacles although they are smaller. And the descent off am bodach in the east can be tricky in wet slippy conditons. The Forcan ridge in Shiel is similar to Crib Goch and an excellent route. If you want proper ridge exposure go to Skye! Great scrambling.

Sharp edge is shorter. Has no pinnacles. But these can be avoided on Crib Goch. Both ridges similar sharpness on the very top. I would say Crib Goch wins it for me as it's a classic way up a great mountain. Sharp edge is a back door route up a great mountain and I suspect most people go down it then back up as to put it in a route up is a bit convoluted? Imho I think they are of similar difficulty. Anoagh Eagach is a step up from both as you can't avoid the pinnacles although they are smaller. And the descent off am bodach in the east can be tricky in wet slippy conditons. The Forcan ridge in Shiel is similar to Crib Goch and an excellent route. If you want proper ridge exposure go to Skye! Great scrambling.

Thanks for the info. I think Crib Goch will be my limit. I'm going to start hill walking again this summer so I'll pluck up the courage and go for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.