Cycling - hints, tips and routes

Don't forget to ride on the pavement when there are pedestrians about

And always cycle through red lights regardless of other traffic about

Until you manage these two things you can never call yourself a cyclist......

Lol!

Forgot to mention that.

Also wear a helmet cam (back and front) so you can report car drivers to the Police when they tell you to" stick your bike up your arse".....and don't forget to put the vids up on You tube. I like laughing at them.

Off to Todmorden now for a ride up the Rochdale canal towpath to Halifax with Mrs Jockstrap. God help any walkers who get in my way.....:)

Keep tyres at 120psi, it makes a huge difference. Get a saddle bag with inner tubes and tools and there are small gas canisters you can buy for a couple of quid that instantly inflate the tyre after a puncture. Change the tyres to Gaterskins. Its also worth going for a bike fit, its usually around £40 but sets you up on it properly. Find a club to go out with, its always better to go in a group and they will know routes which you can then learn for yourself. I took it up last year and wish Id done it years ago, it does wonders for your fitness and you will really enjoy it.

I regularly chat with Professional cyclysts that include several World and or Olympic Champions, some of them disabled olympians, and there is actually only one pertanant piece of advice they ever give to novice cyclists: "Chamois cream"

make sure your Chamios pad is well lubricated with it

Gloves are a must too, helps stop sweaty grips and reduces vibration but mainly protects your paws if you fall off. Instinct is always to out your hands down and they will get badly grazed. Glasses are needed for longer or faster rides as there is nothing worse than an eye full of fly or hitting an insect at speed with your peepers. Unfortunately both things can you make you look a bit of a cock to the haters, but they are essential accessories really

We've done Clayton Vale a few times and it's ok.
Philips Park in Whitefield/Prestwich is a decent route, good downhill.
Billinge Wood Trails in Blackburn is sound as well. a few good routes there.

Further away is one of my favourites coed llandegla in North Wales, get there in an hour or so.

There's a few of us who've just started MTB'ing again and we're based around Manchester, so if you're interested PM me.
Thanks for the info. Someone at work mentioned Philips Park. I'll definitely take you up on the offer of joining in with the other guys, but only once I've got a bit more experience, as I don't want to hold anyone back.

What are the advantages of tubeless tyres? Seen a bit about them on YouTube, but no too sure about them. Oh, and is it hard work to convert, or best leave it to a bike shop?

Thanks for all the tips. Oh, I've started going through red lights (safely!), so I'm half way there - still not graduated to riding on the pavement yet!

I'm new to cycling, so thought I'd start this thread, as I'm sure there must be some other recreational cyclists on here.

I bought a MTB on eBay, a Genesis Mantle 20 (got it for £230, and the had only used it a handful of times). I've used it every day for work, but that's only down the road. I've also been on Clayton Vale about ten times, using the dark blue route (I did go on the red route once, but I'm still a bit of a shit bag, so I probably need to come off the bike a couple of times yet!).

So, I'm after hints and tips on looking after the bike. I do wash it weekly, and oil the chain.

Also, and more importantly, does anyone have decent cycling routes? I'm in Burnage, but don't mind travelling. I have a pathway (don't know if it has a name) that goes to Debdale, and has an off shoot to the canal pathway, but I've only used it to get to Clayton Vale).

Cheers.
Cycle up to Gatley and visit Andy Hilton @ Bikehaus everyone from total novices up to world Champions call in there he will advize and help he is also a Manchester Wheeler member and it isn't just road and track bikes they cater for mountain bikes as well.

postcode is SK84EZ

Keep tyres at 120psi, it makes a huge difference. Get a saddle bag with inner tubes and tools and there are small gas canisters you can buy for a couple of quid that instantly inflate the tyre after a puncture. Change the tyres to Gaterskins. Its also worth going for a bike fit, its usually around £40 but sets you up on it properly. Find a club to go out with, its always better to go in a group and they will know routes which you can then learn for yourself. I took it up last year and wish Id done it years ago, it does wonders for your fitness and you will really enjoy it.

120 psi on a mountain bike are you mad? Even on a road bike it would be on the upper end and potentially become a a bit bone jarring but each to thier own I suppose, the rest I completely agree with, plenty of really good social cycling groups out there on FB land

A shagged drivetrain will ruin a good bike- keep cogs and chainrings clean and get a chain checker (probs 8 quid) and learn how to use it regularly. I'm out most Sunday mornings if anyone wants to hook up and usually ride out of failsworth- clayton vale is straightforward and spend a lot of time in Saddleworth. Pm if interested.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.