Cyclists

I don't think they should be allowed on single lane carriageways where the National Speed Limit applies. Around my gaffe they ride round in gangs, like its the Tour De France or something. I've seen then riding two or even three abreast with a trail of cars behind them.

If you were driving a car at that speed the Police would pull you over and issue you with a fixed penalty fine or even charge you with dangerous driving. That's how accidents happen and I can't be a*rsed quoting from the Highway Code but there are rules about driving too slow and also about moving over when somebody behind wants to get past. Those rules apply to car drivers but the same rules should apply to cyclists. They aren't allowed on motorways and shouldn't be allowed on single lane carriageways with National Speed Limit.

BimboBob said:
I do both. In fact I also ride a motorbike.

Is this wrong?

It's simple. I wouldn't ride two abreast, I don't jump red lights, I stick to as close to the curb as safely possible...

And still you get idiots saying I should pay another road tax or get a licence.

Idiots you say ? There should be some sort of competency test and maybe some insurance. Some people give a kid a bike and say off you go son ride on the roads or wherever you want. A motorist has to get a licence, pass a test, drive a car that is road worthy and also has a test, and have insurance. Little 8 year old Tommy jumps on a bike and off he goes causing mayhem and accidents on the road , and of course it would be the motorists fault.
The increase in cyclists is fantastic I believe but there should be some regulations and road awareness, for motorists also. In Paris there has not been one fatal accident in the last 5 years, where London they pretty much happen weekly, something is wrong, and the motorist is partly to blame with a low tolerance to cyclists which needs addressing.

Johnsonontheleft said:
This may differ in the cities but where I live there are lots of narrow rural roads with no cycle paths and a national speed limit, but this doesn't stop cyclists from doing their thing. I have seen numerous incidents where they have nearly caused a nasty collision, mainly on an uphill stretch where they're going slow and a car pulls out to overtake, only for another car to come racing down the hill in the other direction. I don't know the stats but I imagine lots of accidents are caused this way.

My question is this - should cyclists be allowed on the roads or are they too much of a hazard to motorists and themselves?

I love cycling but I would never do it on the open road, only ever on cycle paths which are sadly lacking round here.

Nowt to do with the cyclist. The motorists are clearly not following the simplest entreaties in the Highway Code. It's bloody common sense that on narrow country roads you should expect the unexpected and drive accordingly.

We need more traffic free cycling paths and a Dutch approach to cycling.

Bluebee2 said:
BimboBob said:

Is this wrong?

It's simple. I wouldn't ride two abreast, I don't jump red lights, I stick to as close to the curb as safely possible...

Idiots you say ? There should be some sort of competency test and maybe some insurance. Some people give a kid a bike and say off you go son ride on the roads or wherever you want. A motorist has to get a licence, pass a test, drive a car that is road worthy and also has a test, and have insurance. Little 8 year old Tommy jumps on a bike and off he goes causing mayhem and accidents on the road , and of course it would be the motorists fault.
The increase in cyclists is fantastic I believe but there should be some regulations and road awareness, for motorists also. In Paris there has not been one fatal accident in the last 5 years, where London they pretty much happen weekly, something is wrong, and the motorist is partly to blame with a low tolerance to cyclists which needs addressing.

It's simple. Abroad there is a different attitude to cycling. In cities thousands do it. Here? They are seen a s a nuisance. Change the mentality and deaths will come down.

BimboBob said:
Bluebee2 said:
BimboBob said:

Is this wrong?

It's simple. Abroad there is a different attitude to cycling. In cities thousands do it. Here? They are seen a s a nuisance. Change the mentality and deaths will come down.

I bet you'r opposed to the seal hunt as well. How else are we to go aboot keeping the numbers in check?

The issue is not with the Motorists or the Cyclists.
The two are the same, in that most Cyclists will also be car drivers or have a drivers license atleast.

The issue is with the Environment and how pathetic and shit our roads are in this country.
Many of the roads are still built for Horse & cart and just not for daily commute of HGV's, Bus's and your housewife in the Range Rover.

For such a small country we do commute so often on short journeys using the car whereas in other countries for the same distance they would walk and cycle.

The roads are shit and need a lot more adapting for cycling, with a look into how countries such as Holland operate.

Maybe even rewards for people who cycle more on short journeys rather than drive.... and it does go on as I see it everyday - people getting in their cars and driving to the Tesco express which is about 80ft from the house.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
This may differ in the cities but where I live there are lots of narrow rural roads with no cycle paths and a national speed limit, but this doesn't stop cyclists from doing their thing. I have seen numerous incidents where they have nearly caused a nasty collision, mainly on an uphill stretch where they're going slow and a car pulls out to overtake, only for another car to come racing down the hill in the other direction. I don't know the stats but I imagine lots of accidents are caused this way.

My question is this - should cyclists be allowed on the roads or are they too much of a hazard to motorists and themselves?

I love cycling but I would never do it on the open road, only ever on cycle paths which are sadly lacking round here.

Nowt to do with the cyclist. The motorists are clearly not following the simplest entreaties in the Highway Code. It's bloody common sense that on narrow country roads you should expect the unexpected and drive accordingly.

We need more traffic free cycling paths and a Dutch approach to cycling.
Yes. If it's not safe to overtake, don't overtake.
There are far too many idiots driving on the roads these days.

Is it time for the quarterly "cyclists are cunts" thread already?

Some cyclists are cunts, so are some car drivers. No one likes a man who wears Lycra. Tax dodgers etc.

I think that about covers it. See you all at the end of June.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.