Cyclists

CITYBOY1000 said:
alfabianchi said:
Lots of bollocks being spouted in this thread.

The roads are for everyone. Bikes, people, tractors, horses and cars.

If you drive around thinking you are more important than anyone else, you are a bell-end.

I once read a good slogan on a poster in town. It said, "You're not stuck in traffic. YOU ARE THE TRAFFIC."

If you cannot handle sharing the roads with other people, you shouldn't be on them.

The roads are not for everyone Alfa. You should know that before labelling others as "bell-ends".

Cyclists, low CC motorcycles, horse driven vehicles, tractors and pedestrians are not allowed on motorways or did you not know that ? The reason is for their own safety and also that they will slow down other traffic and cause accidents because they cannot attain anywhere near the required speed on a motorway.

A motorist is not allowed on a road if he doesn't have insurance, a taxed motor vehicle and a driving licence.

The same or similar rules apply to dual carriageway roads with similar restrictions.

This idea that the roads belong to everyone is bollix. We've moved on now to an age of the motor car. Everyone has one and there is no need to congest our roads with cyclists.

You honestly think it's a few cyclists that are congesting our roads? Dear God. The age of the motor car was twenty years ago and will continue to die. It cannot be sustained. Look at the investment in public transport, Metrolink, HS2, Tube. Tell people in London it's the age of the motorcar as they sit in their jams whilst the cleaver and fit people cycle or take the tube.

Johnsonontheleft said:
Here's a thought. We spend £11.3 BILLION on foreign aid each year. Why not divert half of that to building a massive network of cycle lanes across the UK. This would cut down accidents, make people healthier and thus save the NHS money. I for one would be cycling all the time if I felt that I could do it safely on a designated cycle path.

We should definitely give £5.6 billion to building a huge network of cycle lanes across the country.

Whether its domestically or abroad I can think of no more pressing matter to spend such a sum on.

Johnsonontheleft said:
Here's a thought. We spend £11.3 BILLION on foreign aid each year. Why not divert half of that to building a massive network of cycle lanes across the UK. This would cut down accidents, make people healthier and thus save the NHS money. I for one would be cycling all the time if I felt that I could do it safely on a designated cycle path.

You make a fair point, not just the health benefits it would lead to people being more social and essentially happy.
If they had lots of picnicking parks along these routes to it would provide social areas for people to mingle.
The only time strangers mingle now is when they are smashed in a bar.

I would use such a transport network and the idea of it appeals to my humanistic side.
For example just walking down the canal with my dog the amount of genuine smiles and "hello"'s you get makes you smile whereas the same situation on a roadside pavement ? nah you don't see it so much then.

Johnsonontheleft said:

The very reason I go to Holland once a year! Cyclists' paradise. And I like the Dutch law that the motorist is always to blame!

The current crop of Westminster Wankers haven't got the mindset to spend money on the people who elected them. They're too busy shafting us for 20p a mile when they get on their bikes.

The more cyclists the better.
Because eventually the numbers would reach a tipping point and the govt could tax the bastards.

Johnsonontheleft said:

I didn't think you'd manage it, but to blame the lack of cycle lanes on those nasty foreigners really took some doing, bravo.

TCIB said:
Johnsonontheleft said:

You make a fair point, not just the health benefits it would lead to people being more social and essentially happy.
If they had lots of picnicking parks along these routes to it would provide social areas for people to mingle.
The only time strangers mingle now is when they are smashed in a bar.

I would use such a transport network and the idea of it appeals to my humanistic side.
For example just walking down the canal with my dog the amount of genuine smiles and "hello"'s you get makes you smile whereas the same situation on a roadside pavement ? nah you don't see it so much then.

Pretty much how it is in Perth mate, loads of cycle paths, parks, walks communal BBQs etc. First few times I went out I was so surprised by everyone saying hello or stopping for a chat.

CITYBOY1000 said:
The roads are not for everyone Alfa. You should know that before labelling others as "bell-ends".

Cyclists, low CC motorcycles, horse driven vehicles, tractors and pedestrians are not allowed on motorways or did you not know that ? The reason is for their own safety and also that they will slow down other traffic and cause accidents because they cannot attain anywhere near the required speed on a motorway.

A motorist is not allowed on a road if he doesn't have insurance, a taxed motor vehicle and a driving licence.

The same or similar rules apply to dual carriageway roads with similar restrictions.

This idea that the roads belong to everyone is bollix. We've moved on now to an age of the motor car. Everyone has one and there is no need to congest our roads with cyclists.
So cars should stick to motorways and the roads should be confined to use by cyclists, low CC motorcycles, horse driven vehicles, tractors and pedestrians. Is that the gist of what you're saying? A motorist IS allowed to drive a vehicle on the road if they don't have insurance, a taxed motor or driving licence. The problem is they will be heavily fined and banned for doing so as a vehicle has the capability to kill if not in the hands of a proven, skilled, responsible civilian.

Everyone pays for maintenance of the roads via their Council Tax, not VED (or Road Tax). So cyclists do pay for use of the roads (which were tarmacked by cyclist lobbies campaigning for smoother road surfaces back in the 1900's, not car drivers) Many cyclists have a motor car, but they choose to cycle. The motor car is becoming a relic of the 20th Century, the bicycle still continues to serve a purpose in the 21st with many people now choosing to commute to work via cycle or motorcycle to ease congestion on roads, free up spaces for parking. But I realise it's not for everyone.

Lucky Toma said:
Johnsonontheleft said:

We should definitely give £5.6 billion to building a huge network of cycle lanes across the country.

Whether its domestically or abroad I can think of no more pressing matter to spend such a sum on.

Would be better spent on HSC1 - HiSpeedCycling1 - than on HS2. We might need a bit more spent in Littleborough. It's a bit hilly for me. We might need to spend a few extra bob at levelling things off!

denislawsbackheel said:
The more cyclists the better.
Because eventually the numbers would reach a tipping point and the govt could tax the bastards.
Most cyclists are in favour of being taxed.

1) Because it'd finally stop the moaning bar stewards

2) It'd cost us all on average a maximum of £10 a year, if that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.