Daily Fail headline - Dani Alves didn't know Manchester City existed in 2009

shevtheblue

Won't link the article, it doesn't deserve anymore hits than i have already given it...

Dani Alves didn't know Manchester City existed in 2009 Daily Mail 10:57

Dani Alves looks set to pull on the sky blue shirt of Manchester City next season with Pep Guardiola understood to be pushing through a short-term deal for the Juventus full back.

With Alves and Guardiola sharing a close relationship from their Barcelona days and the Citizens pushing for a total-football revolution, the move comes as no surprise.

But rewind to 2009, when Manchester City were just starting to make their way into the upper echelons of the Premier League following a takeover, and Alves had no idea the club existed.

Speaking in 2014, he admitted: 'I didn't realise until about five years ago that Manchester had two teams.

'Of course Manchester United have been one of the most famous and successful clubs in Europe for many years - but I thought they were the only one.'

'When Manchester City got new owners and started buying some of the best players in Europe everybody knew who they were - but until then I must be honest I didn't know about them.'

Won't link the article, it doesn't deserve anymore hits than i have already given it...

Dani Alves didn't know Manchester City existed in 2009 Daily Mail 10:57

Dani Alves looks set to pull on the sky blue shirt of Manchester City next season with Pep Guardiola understood to be pushing through a short-term deal for the Juventus full back.

With Alves and Guardiola sharing a close relationship from their Barcelona days and the Citizens pushing for a total-football revolution, the move comes as no surprise.

But rewind to 2009, when Manchester City were just starting to make their way into the upper echelons of the Premier League following a takeover, and Alves had no idea the club existed.

Speaking in 2014, he admitted: 'I didn't realise until about five years ago that Manchester had two teams.

'Of course Manchester United have been one of the most famous and successful clubs in Europe for many years - but I thought they were the only one.'

'When Manchester City got new owners and started buying some of the best players in Europe everybody knew who they were - but until then I must be honest I didn't know about them.'

well they know now, all their own way for so long. we must grate on them every fucking second of every single day.

fucking love it.

well they know now, all their own way for so long. we must grate on them every fucking second of every single day.

fucking love it.

Must admit I'd never heard of City till the 51/52 season, should I put mi tin hat on?

He hadn't even heard of Sevilla before he signed for them. Lets be honest, there'll be quite a few Europeans who haven't heard of certain teams from South America or Asia etc...

Our last major trophy before 2009 was in 1976, our last league title was in 1968, our only European trophy was in 1970 and Dani Alves wasn't even born till 1983. So it's really not that surprising that a footballer from Brazil growing up in an age before social media didn't really know who we were.

Add to that it's probably an inaccurate statement as he would have heard of us in 2008 when we signed Robinho.

Last edited:
Why would he of known about city though?
I'm not really bothered whether he had heard of us or not but I do think it is a little weird that a footballer playing most of his career in Europe literally hadn't even heard of a club that (even ignoring a longer term history) was an established Premier League club in 2008/9 and had been for 6 or 7 years. Just as I'd think it was weird if he said today that he hadn't heard of someone like Southampton.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.