Damocles

I find it quite fascinating for some bizarre reason when cloud hosting, IIRC etc etc are mentioned and find myself nodding my head sagely at the screen as if I know what the hell you're talking about when in reality it's just utter mumbo jumbo to me

Anyhows, just to say thanks to all those who put the hard work in and it's greatly appreciated by most, if not all, on here

I think some people just like having hissy fits for the sheer hell of it sometimes

MikeF said:
I find it quite fascinating for some bizarre reason when cloud hosting, IIRC etc etc are mentioned and find myself nodding my head sagely at the screen as if I know what the hell you're talking about when in reality it's just utter mumbo jumbo to me

Anyhows, just to say thanks to all those who put the hard work in and it's greatly appreciated by most, if not all, on here

I think some people just like having hissy fits for the sheer hell of it sometimes

I'll try to explain cloud computing simply, to the best of my understanding of course.
With conventional web hosting you pay for servers and bandwidth. You either own or rent the server but in essence it's your responsibility and you own it.
For Bluemoon that might cause problems if your requirements suddenly increase. It means you need more servers and bandwidth, and very often you need to change your configuration. Sometimes you'll need more load-balancing and networking gear as well.

With cloud computing a company like Google or Amazon will setup a huge data centre often with tens of thousands of individual servers all linked very closely together. In many ways they will act as "one" massive super computer.
They will then offer you a type of "pay-as-you-go" service. You pay for how much processing, memory, network (etc etc) resources you use.

The advantage is of course that it will scale almost infinitely without you having to do anything (apart from paying more), and the scaling will happen in REAL-TIME.
Imagine (or dream) if City won the Champions League final next year and Bluemoon got invaded with 1 million users desperate to post ;) Within milliseconds "the cloud" would react to the increased demand for resources and assign as much as needed.

TheLegendOfBerti said:
I don't mind slow to a certain extent, but I do mind error page after error page, I just want it to work.

I want to win the lottery..?
This isn't error reporting, it's having a pop.

Damocles has one hell of a job which he does fantastically, do you know how to run a forum with such high traffic ?

Honestly I think you are at the point where alternatives have to be seriously considered. If it's the forum software that doesn't scale, then move to software that does. I don't think anybody cares that much about having to start afresh. We can just reregister our old usernames. I look at other independent football sites like RAWK who have vastly more users and concurrent connections than Bluemoon but never so much as blink when something big happens with their club. That site is funded through donations and doesn't run ads. If that's what it takes to get the same level of performance then why not do it?

And given the likelihood of where the club is going to be in the next few years the situation is just going to get even worse. Damocles is already having to donate a crazy amount of his time just to keep the place ticking. Surely this isn't sustainable in the long term?

Project said:
Honestly I think you are at the point where alternatives have to be seriously considered. If it's the forum software that doesn't scale, then move to software that does. I don't think anybody cares that much about having to start afresh. We can just reregister our old usernames. I look at other independent football sites like RAWK who have vastly more users and concurrent connections than Bluemoon but never so much as blink when something big happens with their club. That site is funded through donations and doesn't run ads. If that's what it takes to get the same level of performance then why not do it?

And given the likelihood of where the club is going to be in the next few years the situation is just going to get even worse. Damocles is already having to donate a crazy amount of his time just to keep the place ticking. Surely this isn't sustainable in the long term?

Careful Project, the full force of the Damocletian Empire will be unleashed against you if you persist in pointing out the obvious

I have a few suggestions:

1) Have you tried switching it off and on again?

2) Have you tried this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLCoYrmZwk[/youtube]

Damocles said:
Also, the site was slow on Thursday last week because I wasn't around to load balance, not because of any attempts in hacking. This is why it has been slow for most of this month. I'm back at some point next week properly, so I can sort everything out then.
A slow site, or even no site, is a price well worth paying for the privilege of Damocletian protection.

Ok, you win.

I'm out. I'll stop doing what I'm currently doing (which is load balancing, and allowing the spitting of General Errors at the cost of speed), and leave you to it. I'm far too busy to surrender my time doing this for dickheads like you.

I'll be back when I'm less busy and can dedicate the time to do so. Next week, perhaps. This is not my idea of fun, and the amount of bitching that has gone on while I've been away has worn me down.

Damocles said:
Ok, you win.

I'm out. I'll stop doing what I'm currently doing (which is load balancing, and allowing the spitting of General Errors at the cost of speed), and leave you to it. I'm far too busy to surrender my time doing this for dickheads like you.

I'll be back when I'm less busy and can dedicate the time to do so. Next week, perhaps. This is not my idea of fun, and the amount of bitching that has gone on while I've been away has worn me down.

Well said that man.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.