Kyle Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd always go for the domestic option if given a choice because there's no trouble adapting and whatever people say there is a big difference between the Premier league and other leagues.

I thought it was telling that Spurs started Trippier against Utd. Perhaps preparing for life without Walker. I hope so. Ideal full back for City. Would be a regular and big part of City under Guardiola. We'd have a player who could defend, and attack at will.

Out of interest who would be the last decent fullbacks in your opinion?

Lahm.

Both Zabba & Micah Richards (at his best & fit) were proper defensive fullbacks imo. Not Pep style wingers/midfielders disgused as fullbacks (Alvez & Marcello are the best in that regard) but I'd rather see Zabs/Micah defending, than any of the main players today, including Walker.

We have just seen this weekend, Trippier, Clichy, both playing for top 4 teams, sidestepped & left for dead by the slightest trick. We have seen Walker, Bellarin, made to look absolute mugs time & again, Chelsea don't even bother with fullbacks, Milner & some random no mark at Liverpool, etc etc.

Years ago, in wide open football, people like Tony Book used to have to face up to people like George Best running at them for 90 mins. Tactics didn't stop it like in today's game, these guys had to figure out the impending trick & stop him. Or he was away. And they did.

I wonder how many can do that now.

I don't think it’s done and dusted but it’s very obvious we in for him.

Walker won’t be the problem.

It will be Levy.
He will drag this out all summer if it gets him more money and if Utd are in for him to he will really drag his heels and play us off against one another.
I don't think Levy will drag it. Especially now that Walker has been demoted. It seems Poch has let management know he wants him off as soon as possible. Spurs intend to challenge for the title next season, I bet Loch is thinking of a 'no-drama-summer'. They ate going to be a handful next season.

So if we are in for him, so long as its not a low ball offer (which I hope it is) he'll be a City player pretty early in the window.

Lahm.

Both Zabba & Micah Richards (at his best & fit) were proper defensive fullbacks imo. Not Pep style wingers/midfielders disgused as fullbacks (Alvez & Marcello are the best in that regard) but I'd rather see Zabs/Micah defending, than any of the main players today, including Walker.

We have just seen this weekend, Trippier, Clichy, both playing for top 4 teams, sidestepped & left for dead by the slightest trick. We have seen Walker, Bellarin, made to look absolute mugs time & again, Chelsea don't even bother with fullbacks, Milner & some random no mark at Liverpool, etc etc.

Years ago, in wide open football, people like Tony Book used to have to face up to people like George Best running at them for 90 mins. Tactics didn't stop it like in today's game, these guys had to figure out the impending trick & stop him. Or he was away. And they did.

I wonder how many can do that now.
I think you have a romanticized view of the past. Which forces you into this cornwr of deeming only world class defenders good. It silly. Every generation had great defenders, good ones, average ones and bad ones. Its no more different now than it was then. You just have a poor memory of it all.

Micah!?! I mean, he was my favorite City fullback by a mile. Coz watching him attack was like watching Yaya at fullback. But defensively, Micah had one of the worst positioning for a fullback. I mean folks here used to suggest he should be moved to CB and soft Boateng play RB. That Micah?

Like I said, you have a rosy view of history. No wonder you only mention players like Lahm and Zaba. One perhaps a stone throw from being the best fullback ever and the other perhaps the best fullback in the prem for 3 years. Seriously? A player isn't good of he is not one of the best ever?

I hope you've restrict this reasoning to just defenders, coz if you apply the same logic to attacking players, you'd. Find yourself concluding Hazard and Sanchez aren't all that. I mean, they are not like Messi, the real and Fake Ronaldos who hit 35 goals with ease in multiple years.

That's some standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.