David Conn

His dislike of the modern game isn't limited to City, he's written critical articles about lots of clubs and questioned the involvement of all kinds of people in the game. It's a side of football a lot of people hate, including some City fans, and some people want to read about it. People might think his views are outdated and not viable, but I think our fans need to stop taking everything he says so personally. If people don't like his subject area then don't read it. No need to cherry pick whenever he mentions us though, post it on here and call him a wanker.
Was going to post something similar myself. He dislikes the cynicism and hypocrisy of the modern game and has written extensively about the crooks and chancers who run the game and clubs, as well as the supine and sometimes ccorrupt authorities that run it.

Without him there is so much we wouldn't now about many of the terrible owners that exist. If he has a problem with City, it's not because he's anti-City but because he's being consistent in his attitudes. I'm not sure why he tok up with FCUM though. I know he's been quite friendly with Andy Walsh and I think he's left himself open to a charge of backing the wrong horse there. I've met Andy a couple of times, the last with David as it happens, and he's an engaging character but I think the evidence suggests he took FCUM for a bit of a ride & that David has the blinkers on a bit over that.

I started to read 'Richer than God' but gave up about a quarter of the way in because I couldn't take him seriously, such were the extreme levels of his naivety around football, its finances in particular. It was as if the book had been written by an articulate child who had never been allowed to play outside.

Clubs were much less accountable during the period he has nostalgic cravings for, with the recently well-publicised and sinister consequences that frequently flowed from that. The era he pines for has gone, never to return. There's no point dreaming for the impossible, other than for the purposes of self-indulgence.

Or money when you sell a book.

Just don't understand his opinion at all. First his opinions are not consistent at all - You couldn't watch professional sport as it is all tainted by money. Second you simply couldn't 'Give Up' on Manchester City if your were a real fan.

I started to read 'Richer than God' but gave up about a quarter of the way in because I couldn't take him seriously, such were the extreme levels of his naivety around football, its finances in particular. It was as if the book had been written by an articulate child who had never been allowed to play outside.

Likewise.

Bored with Conn .. he’s been a scratched record for years.... as for the idiot swallowing the FSCUM propaganda......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.