David Silva - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He weren't great last night but its weird when he plays for Spain in the big games he mainly has a good game.

I think that's the difference mate.
Spain normally dominate possession, and Silva thrives in those situations.

However, when things start to go wrong (Holland, Croatia, Italy) Silva tends to become a peripheral figure, contributing nothing apart from a few safe passes)

Last night was similar and I'm struggling to remember the last time Silva played well against Barca, Real Madrid, or even PSG.

He was given another job last night which was to stop Busquets. The Barca fans I was with couldn't believe how little influence Busquets had on the game. The stats bear it out - he had less than half the touches than he had in their away v BM (which they narrowly won), and a way worse pass accuracy rate.

Wastes the ball or gets mugged too many times for such a fantastic player imo.

He can do so much better & it's annoying when it happens.

It's been the theme since being here, he isn't a big game player imo, how many people, hand on heart can state he's ever been world class in the most significant games against significant opposition??

People being smart arses stating 'he's back' we're always missing the point... Everyone agrees that domestically he is sensational on his day, however, it has never transcended in to Europe, which is where we are now measured, rightly or wrongly...

People slate yaya, again rightly or wrongly, but measure the two on impact in the very biggest of games....

It's been the theme since being here, he isn't a big game player imo, how many people, hand on heart can state he's ever been world class in the most significant games against significant opposition??

People being smart arses stating 'he's back' we're always missing the point... Everyone agrees that domestically he is sensational on his day, however, it has never transcended in to Europe, which is where we are now measured, rightly or wrongly...

People slate yaya, again rightly or wrongly, but measure the two on impact in the very biggest of games....

Yaya has been awful in the CL.

I'm afraid that he isn't influential enough in the biggest games. His play wasn't awful last night but he didn't affect the game enough in a positive way. His performance felt a bit anonymous based on two viewings of the game and yet aside from Neymar and two Barca defenders, he had the most touches on the ball.

I'm trying to stay away from the subject of Yaya but, if you can forget the Slug, there's really no contest between Yaya and Silva for best player of this City era; IMO and not up for debating it.

Merlin still has a big part to play this season but it will be interpreting to see if he starts less and less of the really big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.