David Silva - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder whether it would be an option to move him to the DM position it Pep's system? Then he'd have to press high less and would have more time on the ball. Essentially rotate the midfield from:
---Fernandinho---
Silva---Gundogan
---de Bruyne---

to
---Silva---
Fernandinho---Gundogan
---de Bruyne---

Would also allow Fern to get further upfield to win the ball.

Equally supporter favourites tend to have their decline glossed over. Zaba is a pretty good example. Loads of people were saying he can't be sold in the summer because he's a City legend and how he was just coming off an injury riddled season and still had plenty to offer.

I don't think Silva's 'finished' though - reckon that's far too dramatic. I do think his weakness has been exposed again in the last few games. I sometimes feel with him that if the opposition DM lays a strong tackle on him early doors, it takes a lot to get him to then impose himself on that game subsequently.

Anyway yesterday was a collective lack of intensity and nous. The whole midfield was pedestrian.
Very hard to lay the blame for yesterdays midfield performance at the door of any one player, there was an all encompassing malaise that's hard to put your finger on.

It's wrong to single him out yesterday. Most of the team was shite. I just think KDB, Silva and Gundogan in the same team just doesn't work. It needs to be KDB + either silva or gundogan for me with kelechi in the team. We lack a goal threat and kelechi gives us that. Time to start him regularly now.

Very hard to lay the blame for yesterdays midfield performance at the door of any one player, there was an all encompassing malaise that's hard to put your finger on.

Fully agree.

It's worth remembering statistically there's a direct correlation between mid week European games and a drop off in performance in the subsequent first 45. Granted Southampton played Thu but they had no pressure on them to get a result or chase the game. Our game took 45/50 minutes to get going.

Pep can't play Gundo/Silva 3 times a week and expect top level performances from them. It won't work we need more rotation/rest/options. Wed will be very very interesting.

Thought he was class yesterday. The only player who was always thinking about moving the ball forwards (how many time did de Bruyne just turn round and pass it backwards in the first half?).

He wasn't at his brilliant best yesterday, but he was better than all the rest if the midfield yesterday. KDB was especislly poor.

Last edited:
Call yourself a city fan.
Disgusting. Shameful. Disrespectful.
You're not kidding me.

Can you make sure David doesn't see or hear of any of the shite that is written on here, by people that don't have a fucking clue. When it's warranted, fine, but the stuff on here the last few days makes me sick.

Strange thing to say about dick measuring contest?!

Much, much worse though is you saying that David has been the hide and seek champion in the last 12 months.

This is the same 12 months where he has had 4 separate injuries and played several times in that period when others wouldn't. Probably the player that makes himself more available on the pitch in every game than any other player. Far from a hide and seek champion.

He has started the season very well according to the majority (not you obviously) due to being fit having had a few extra weeks rest after picking up a hamstring injury with Spain. This gave his ankle the rest it has needed since October last year.

His game is reliant on movement in front of him for passing options. There has been little movement recently from our striker.

As I said... I'm disgusted and ashamed of any city fan than can be so disrespectful.

The guy is 30. He's got a lot more great games ahead of him in a City shirt.

It's always a dick measuring contest if anybody suggests the criticism of a player makes somebody less of a City fan than anyone else, which is clearly what your inference was.

And, by your own admission, you do also try and legislate for a clear drop in his levels by pointing out (quite rightly) that he has suffered with repeated injury issues.

My hide-and-seek reference has nothing to do with his willingness to make himself available for selection, it is my own view based on what I am seeing on the pitch and he's nowhere near as instrumental as we now need him to be, certainly at the Champions League levels of competition.

My assessment is with merit, we can still establish a decent fee for him next summer due to his reputation and age. He will 31 in January. We made similar errors with Toure and Zabaleta.

Their decline was there two seasons ago but we hoped for the best and here we are.

Regardless of Silva's talent, I see it thriving better back in Spain in the remaining years, unless you can impart that he's someone who is willing to put the club first, and he plays every other week?

Page 60 - Back to his best.
Page 84 - Past it and needs to be sold whilst he has a value.

One month difference between pages.

Bluemoon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.