David Silva - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you're saying but personally, 'cashing in' on one of the best players the club has ever had, just in order to make a few quid that we don't need, I find that appalling and disrespectful.

He should be allowed to finish his contract and move back home to Gran Canaria to enjoy his retirement. He owes the club, and us fans, absolutely nothing.

I personally believe We should do for him, what Chelsea did for Petr Cech, let him move to the club of his choice as long as it isn't a title contender

He was man of the match against Everton now he's finished, wow you couldn't make it up. He's got enough credit in the bank to be allowed a bad game for me
Onwards and upwards Merlin

Equally supporter favourites tend to have their decline glossed over. Zaba is a pretty good example. Loads of people were saying he can't be sold in the summer because he's a City legend and how he was just coming off an injury riddled season and still had plenty to offer.

I don't think Silva's 'finished' though - reckon that's far too dramatic. I do think his weakness has been exposed again in the last few games. I sometimes feel with him that if the opposition DM lays a strong tackle on him early doors, it takes a lot to get him to then impose himself on that game subsequently.

Anyway yesterday was a collective lack of intensity and nous. The whole midfield was pedestrian.
I think he's defensive efforts are being overlooked. He was very good at helping stranggle Barcelonna's pivot and the 1 time he missed his assignment he chased Busquet or Pique down and injured him trying to get back in the play.

Folks should not undervalue his defensive contribution this season. Even when he is not playing well offensively his defensive effort has been stellar. And as you know I'm normally a big critic, so this isn't me happy clapping. His effort on the press and harassing tackling has been very good. Frankly it might be part of the reason why he is not so great on offense in a few games. Coz he actually has to expend energy on defense.

Unlike in years gone by when he got a pass while everyone railed about Yaya's soft defense.

Page 60 - Back to his best.
Page 84 - Past it and needs to be sold whilst he has a value.

One month difference between pages.

Bluemoon....

To be honest, I haven't felt he's been back to his best for 2 seasons. He's had decent games and good spells and the odd moment of brilliance. But he gives the ball away far more than he ever used to, makes hardly any killer passes and is just not as good a player as he once was. Not finished by any means, but I haven't see the old Silva in ages.

Funny - look back 20 pages or so, and there was a Silva wank-fest in progress - how he had bounced back after struggling with injury last year. We lose a couple of games and suddenly it's stick a fork in him.

My assessment is with merit, we can still establish a decent fee for him next summer due to his reputation and age. He will 31 in January. We made similar errors with Toure and Zabaleta.

Their decline was there two seasons ago but we hoped for the best and here we are.
Just becuase they happen to play for City, I'm not quite sure what bearing the rate of two other players' physical decline has on Silva's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.