David Silva

He just needs to get clear of his injuries and he will be fine. He has nener relied on physical pace, more mental pace

Much of what was said about Silvas arrival to MCFC in the original post could equally have been said about Yaya and I'm afraid he does look to be past his fabulous peak.
However I agree that with Silva it looks more like an injury is the problem, he was superb until he went away with Spain and got injured.
I just hope he makes a full recovery from his injury as it does seem to be recurrent. If he does I think he will remain a first choice in the team for a couple of seasons yet.

I have never seen a player of David's caliber being labeled as finished before hitting his mid-thirties.
Sorry, i don't buy it.
Ankle injuries are not permanent, he will get rid of it at a point next semestre.
The lad has just turned 30 for christ sake; being a creative midfielder, his career should last for at least 4 more seasons, quality seasons mind you.
I am adamant he will shine like a diamond under Pep's tenure.

David Silva is a tough little fellow. Saw people writing him off because of his surgery back in 2008, saw them labelling him as "regressing" after his comeback in 2009, saw them discarding him as a mere benchwarmer for Spain and a player too fragile for PL in 2010, saw them calling him "a poor man's Mata" in 2013. Each time he bounced back and returned stronger than before. He's only 30 and I don't believe his fight has left him yet. Medically I still don't see enough evidence suggesting that the injury he sustained from that atrocious tackle will lead to permanent deterioration of his ankle. So both physically and mentally I don't think he's past it.

Even in this poor season, he is still contributing. I'm not only talking about his assists and key passes here, which could sometimes be misleading, but also the importance of his general passing ability, as seen from both legs against Madrid, and the much-maligned defensive work. Apart from much of December and January, when he seemed to be not putting a lot of effort on the pitch (which, in restrospect, is understandable), I don't see how he shirked his defensive responsibility. Did he not press opposition players? Did he not tackle and intercept (interestingly, he averaged 1.5 tackles and 0.7 interceptions per 90 minutes, which was more than quite a lot of players in our squad, including the shiny new toys;)? Did he not track back enough? Of course you could always argue that he could have tracked back more and tackled more effectively, but using these as evidence of his work rate not enough for Pep? I'm far from convinced by such arguments.

How Pep would utilize him remains to be seen. But he would not be "a squad player who plays only a few games", nor would he be another Mario Gotze as some smartarse would like to believe. All these years, he has always repaid the faith in him.

Fantastic post.

The shiny new toys looked lost without him against Madrid. We got outclassed from the moment he left the pitch if truth be told.

By far the most intelligent and naturally gifted player in the squad, but unfortunately his class goes over the head of a lot of our "fans".

Slightly off topic but was watching the 6-1 the other day and the speed of his thinking and execution was something very very special to behold. That and the general speed of the other players around him, the whole team.

I miss that city, we were unstoppable.

Yes, I've watched that and thought the same thing. Last night it so happens I watched the dvd review of the 2010-11 season, every match in brief, that is, stopping it and going back on certain movements several times over (yes, I know, I need to get a life). I believe that Merlin now is as brilliant as he always has been. But the thing is this: just look at the movement of every other player on the pitch in the 6-1, and virtually all the games from the 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons, and much of the story is right there. Silva can only play to what he sees free, or starting a run into space up ahead. Otherwise, he's just to got hold on to it. And as others have said, get that ankle whacked for the umpteenth time. He's always looking for the killer pass, but if nobody's getting free of their marker, what can he do?
A very striking aspect of so many games this season is how relatively immobile so many players have been (and yes, not only Bony, although he's the most striking example of it. Even Sergio's been guilty of it at times…)
If there's one thing I'm certain of with Pep, it is that that will change pretty rapidly next season. He just won't put up with it.
I've already said it on here earlier this season. Thirty, for a footballer of that intelligence and vision, is nothing. Merlin's best years just might be ahead of him…

I agree. Really weird seeing loads of people posting first XI's for next season without Silva in there. He's the most Barca-esque player the PL has seen, nvm currently at the club. He's the player who understands best where to be to receive the pass and where the ball needs to go - and has the technique to collect the ball under pressure and successfully make that pass.

Hopefully we'll have the squad next season to not have to play him constantly if he's in pain.

Spain out early doors, a good rest all summer and the second best player I've ever seen in a city shirt back at his best

Just for accuracy he was brilliant the first 3 games and not the first 5. He was meh against Watford and was injured for the 5th game at Palace.
Dude. This thread is not supposed to be about facts, logic or reasoning. Stop interjecting with facts and let the folks here have their emotionally satisfying rant.

I have never seen a player of David's caliber being labeled as finished before hitting his mid-thirties.
Sorry, i don't buy it.
Ankle injuries are not permanent, he will get rid of it at a point next semestre.
The lad has just turned 30 for christ sake; being a creative midfielder, his career should last for at least 4 more seasons, quality seasons mind you.
I am adamant he will shine like a diamond under Pep's tenure.
Does it matter that almost no one has labelled him as finished?

Does there not exist a distinction between not being at your peak, and being shit?

This thread like most David Silva related threads over the last year have been more about emotions and less about facts.

Like the continued regurgitation of the claim that he started the first 5 games on fire. This claim has been corrected multiple times by mtiple posters.

Great against West Ham, Good against Chelsea and Everton, average against Watford and didn't play against Crystal Palace. Yet no matter how many times this correction has been made, the claim, and those who make the claim, Keeps repeating it. It's like Groundhog day.

The sad part it, most here love Dave, and an argument that he is not at his peak anymore is not proof of lack of love for him, not an euphemism for him being shit.

I made a claim a while back yhatvidctake Isco over David. Why? Because Isco, or Koke or Erikson or Dybala adnuseum are just destined to be better than Dave eventually. The cye is the same. Younger playersvrisecto their peak, older players drop from their peak. Even Magic Dave will.

I've enjoyed watching Silva with the ball more than any other City player I've seen. His vision first touch passing and dribbling are first class, pity he wasn't blessed with more pace and a better shot on goal. Whether his injury is hampering him or not, at 30, he's not getting any younger and I feel that Pep will maybe look to sell him. Will be a sad day when he leaves but he will always be remembered here as a truly great player.
Fuck Pep.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.