Dean Richards RIP

5184.jpg

Everyone at Tottenham Hotspur was saddened to hear of the death of our former player Dean Richards, who passed away on Saturday morning at the age of 36 after a long-term battle with serious illness.

Dean started his career at Bradford City and then moved to Wolverhampton Wanderers before establishing himself in the Premier League with Southampton.

The centre-half joined the Club from Southampton in September 2001 and made an immediate impact by scoring on his Spurs debut against Manchester United at White Hart Lane.

In total the former England Under-21 defender went on to play 81 games in our colours and scored four goals before being forced to retire at the age of 30 on medical grounds.

There will be a tribute paid to the defender ahead of our fixture next Sunday at Molineux against his former club Wolves.

We extend our sincere condolences to the family of Dean Richards at this very sad time.

This is not posted to wind anyone up, it was that Dean Richards was the last Spurs player to captain the side in a game at Maine Road... these are the details of the game.... I would guess it is where the picture of the late Marc Vivien-Foe and Dean Richards was taken from.....

I was at this game (I loved going to Maine Road, not just cos we had a decent record, but because it was a proper old fashioned football ground)....

FA BARCLAYCARD PREMIERSHIP
MONDAY 23RD DECEMBER, 2002
MANCHESTER CITY 2 (1) TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 3 (1)
Man City scorers:-
Howey, 29
Benarbia, 90

Spurs scorers:-
Perry, 38
Davies, 48
Poyet, 84

Attendance:- 35,563

Referee:- Jeff Winter

Teams:-
Man City (3-5-2):- Schmeichel; Dunne, Howey (Capt), Distin; Jihai Sun (sub Benarbia, 57), Foe, Berkovic, Horlock, Tiatto; Anelka, Goater (sub Huckerby, 84)

Subs not used:- Nash; Jensen, Wiekens

Booked:- Tiatto, Foe

Spurs (3-5-2):- Keller; Perry, Richards (Capt), King; Carr, Davies, Anderton, Freund, Ziege; Iversen (sub Poyet, 70), Keane

Subs not used:- Sullivan; Bunjevcevic, Thatcher; Clemence

Booked:- Freund, Ziege, Perry

Sent off:- Ziege (second bookable offence)

10 years ago and Keane, King, Carr, Simon Davies, Dunne, Distin and Anelka are the 7 still playing PL football.... Keane and King the only two still at the same club......

Iversen (Crystal Palace), Schmeichel (Leeds) are playing in the Championship.... you maybe able to shed some light on some of the others....

Lastly, my first memory of Dean in a Spurs shirt was a strange one..... WHL on a warm sunny day he made his debut v ManUSA...... 3-0 we were winning at half time and Dean scored one of the 3.....

Manure came back in the second half (as they do) and won 5-3!!!!!

RIP Deano.....

marcspurs said:
Schmeichel (Leeds) are playing in the Championship

sorry to be picky on such a sad subject pal but its kasper schmeichel at leeds now, it was his father peter who played in that match.

very sad about dean richards, no more suffering is the only slight positive. RIP

marcspurs said:
This is not posted to wind anyone up, it was that Dean Richards was the last Spurs player to captain the side in a game at Maine Road... these are the details of the game.... I would guess it is where the picture of the late Marc Vivien-Foe and Dean Richards was taken from.....

I was at this game (I loved going to Maine Road, not just cos we had a decent record, but because it was a proper old fashioned football ground)....

FA BARCLAYCARD PREMIERSHIP
MONDAY 23RD DECEMBER, 2002
MANCHESTER CITY 2 (1) TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 3 (1)
Man City scorers:-
Howey, 29
Benarbia, 90

Spurs scorers:-
Perry, 38
Davies, 48
Poyet, 84

Attendance:- 35,563

Referee:- Jeff Winter

Teams:-
Man City (3-5-2):- Schmeichel; Dunne, Howey (Capt), Distin; Jihai Sun (sub Benarbia, 57), Foe, Berkovic, Horlock, Tiatto; Anelka, Goater (sub Huckerby, 84)

Subs not used:- Nash; Jensen, Wiekens

Booked:- Tiatto, Foe

Spurs (3-5-2):- Keller; Perry, Richards (Capt), King; Carr, Davies, Anderton, Freund, Ziege; Iversen (sub Poyet, 70), Keane

Subs not used:- Sullivan; Bunjevcevic, Thatcher; Clemence

Booked:- Freund, Ziege, Perry

Sent off:- Ziege (second bookable offence)

10 years ago and Keane, King, Carr, Simon Davies, Dunne, Distin and Anelka are the 7 still playing PL football.... Keane and King the only two still at the same club......

Iversen (Crystal Palace), Schmeichel (Leeds) are playing in the Championship.... you maybe able to shed some light on some of the others....

Lastly, my first memory of Dean in a Spurs shirt was a strange one..... WHL on a warm sunny day he made his debut v ManUSA...... 3-0 we were winning at half time and Dean scored one of the 3.....

Manure came back in the second half (as they do) and won 5-3!!!!!

RIP Deano.....

God, that seems an age ago now.
RIP Dean. Tragic news.

bammy blue said:
marcspurs said:
Schmeichel (Leeds) are playing in the Championship

sorry to be picky on such a sad subject pal but its kasper schmeichel at leeds now, it was his father peter who played in that match.

very sad about dean richards, no more suffering is the only slight positive. RIP

Not being picky at all mate..... I saw the name and assumed without thinking.... Kasper would have have 16!!!! And I just checked and he did sign his first contract in 2002!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.