Defence conundrum

Burtonblue

Regardless of our inability to convert enough chances at the attacking end of the pitch it is glaringly obvious that our defensive line is not doing the business. It will be our downfall when it comes to winning any titles.
It seems to me that it makes no difference whether we play 3 or 4 at the back or which players play in which position. We still leak far too many goals. This uncomfortable truth suggests our defensive players are not up to the job so do we need a massive rebuild or is there hope of the likes of Kolarov, Otamendi and Clichy being turned into winners?
My view is that the players we have with the possible exception of Stones can't play the system Pep wants them to. Given this, is there any chance of bringing good players in during the January transfer window and who for that matter is out there, or would the club be better off waiting till season end when better players are more likely to move? This would probably mean jacking in our title hopes but may be better in the long term...

We need and have done for 2 season now 2 new full backs and at a minimum, a new CB.

That aside, Pep is currently not helping himself or the side with his constant tinkering and asking players to do things he must surely know by now they cant.

We need and have done for 2 season now 2 new full backs and at a minimum, a new CB.

That aside, Pep is currently not helping himself or the side with his constant tinkering and asking players to do things he must surely know by now they cant.

He's not asking anyone to do something they can't and tinkering shouldn't matter - they are learning his style of positional play and if everyone just did the job he's coached them to do, it doesn't matter who the other 2/3 defenders are.

He's not asking anyone to do something they can't and tinkering shouldn't matter - they are learning his style of positional play and if everyone just did the job he's coached them to do, it doesn't matter who the other 2/3 defenders are.

It matters if they dont have the footballing brain to take his instructions in!

Start by picking defenders who can actually defend. Sagna should be playing every game when fit.

Three at the back needs to stop for good. The wingers are offering hardly any defensive cover and the three end up getting isolated with a simple ball over the top.

I don't think that the players will be available in Jan, nor were available in the summer.

There aren't many decent defenders around, anywhere, full stop. Look at how many chances we had v Chelsea, how many Spurs had v Chelsea & how Chelsea ran through Spurs.

None of these people are any good. They are vastly overrated by some on here, but they are nothing. Cahill & Sideshow Bob ? Do me a favour.

Mourinho, master bus parker extrordinaire, has Phil Jones. He also has Eric 'the Saviour' Bailly coming back. Liverpool ? Nope.

Van Dijk is the latest 'must have', & clearly has plenty of ability. But when I used to watch him on tv every week, Jason Denayer filled all the gaps when Virgil got it wrong. Jd was the brains behind the partnership, Van Dijk the muscle. I would happily sign him, but it would be another huge gamble.

They all are. None of them are any good.

Three at the back needs to stop for good. The wingers are offering hardly any defensive cover and the three end up getting isolated with a simple ball over the top.

Spot on.

Come on Pep, stop fucking around now as it just isnt working fella.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.