Defence conundrum

The first thing our defenders can do to help us stop conceding like we did vs Chelsea is stop diving in 60 yards from our goal inside the opposition half?

in hindsight, it was a mistake sending Mangala out on loan when we had no replacement. I am the first to agree he had many weaknesses and I would have seen him more on the bench than as our primary starter. But there are certain games when you need a big strong centre back - particularly yesterday. We have seen how he has dealt with both Costa and Zlatan in the past and my feeling is he would have stopped Costa on that equalizing goal yesterday. Not clear why we left ourselves so short (literally and metaphorically).

Because we brought Pep in, to be Pep.

If he spends this season patching up holes rather than making the team play like Pep, we won't wn anything anyway, because that's not what he is good at.

So then we start next season, from the same position we started this one.

Why don't people get this?

All the knee jerk reactionaries are doing my head in.

Pep always had a big job ahead of him to get City to the place we need to be and this was always going to be a season of transition. The club may have wasted opportunities to be in a better place by not doing as good a job of recruitment as they should since the first title win but crying over spilt milk won't help. We have Pep now and we need to give him the time to do his thing.

I'm not for one moment suggesting Pep should abandon all his principles, of course not.

Merely a tad of pragmatism, given the inadequacies of some of our players. It's not using pretending to be something we are not. So yes by all means we should try and play "the Pep way", but shouldn't we just be *bit* mindful that we're leaking stupid goals time and time again?

He was pretty pragmatic at Burnley.

Pep always had a big job ahead of him to get City to the place we need to be and this was always going to be a season of transition. The club may have wasted opportunities to be in a better place by not doing as good a job of recruitment as they should since the first title win but crying over spilt milk won't help. We have Pep now and we need to give him the time to do his thing.

It's the English/Prem/1st Div mentality. If at first you don't succeed, you are clearly doing something wrong, even if you have won the Champs Lg twice doing it. So give up & play like every other team would.

Even Glen Hoddle was on it day 1 'he can't do that with his fullbacks' etc.

If Pep is struggling in two years, he'll change it, then go.

Exactly this - you are being kind referring to reactionaries though. Some perversley have been waiting to pounce on setbacks since he was announced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.