Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

He played four games from DM for us this season and made 21 appearances in the position for Dortmund in 2014/2015 (31 the season previous) so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Edit: Proof, exclude all positions but DMC (in Detailed)
Please, name the 4 games that he played as a DM pivot for City. Hope we both understand the concept of "DM pivot" in a similar way.
And if Gundogan played 52 games for BvB as a sole pivot, what did Weigl do? Do you think both performed the same role?

Last edited:
Please, name the 4 games that he played as a DM pivot for City. Hope we both understand the concept of "DM pivot" in a similar way.

He played in DM against Bournemouth (H) and West Brom (A), for example.

It's true though that Pep has played him generally in a more "Silva-esque" role and the majority of the time he saw with us was at CM.

And If Gundogan played 52 games for BvB as a sole pivot, what did Weigl do? Do you think both performed the same role?

Are you actually basing your statement that Gundogan never played DM on the fact BvB have Weigl? Really?

Newsflash - Julian Weigl wasn't even a BvB player until the 2015/2016 season.

Last edited:
If any position is a priority this summer, I would say it's at full-back. Whilst Sagna, Zabaleta, Clichy and Kolarov have all served us well, for a side harbouring title ambitions I don't believe any of them have been good enough to be regular starters for a few years now.

He played in DM against Bournemouth (H) and West Brom (A), for example.
Ok, I see. You're either struggling to grasp the concept of DM pivot in possession-based teams or using the same words to express some different meaning.

Had to refresh my memory and watch highlights of the games you've mentioned. Just out of curiosity.
- MC - Bournemouth: 433, sole pivot - Fernandinho. Gundogan - pure eight alongside KdB.
- WestBrom - MC: 433, sole pivot - Fernandinho. Gundogan pure eight again alongside Silva.
In both games Gundogan acted mostly as AM, was constantly making runs into opposing box and scored 3 goals. Not bad for a 'pivot', Busquets must be jealous.
Do you actually watch games or base your opinions just on WhoScored?

Are you actually basing your statement that Gundogan never played DM on the fact BvB have Weigl? Really?
Of course, the presence of a sole pivot Weigl in the same starting 11 is relevant. Busquets and Xavi, Weigl and Gundogan are very similar (though not completely identical) pairs in terms of distribution of their functions. "If Gundogan is a pivot, what's Weigl's role?" - was the question.
I think the analogy is clear - one of them predominantly sits in front of the defence, acts like a wavebreaker and distributes the ball to beat the first layer of press, mostly using simple, low-risk passes. Sometimes he can act as one of CBs. The other one helps to bring the ball further and participates in attacking moves much more, presses higher up the pitch, though he can occasionally drop as deep as pivot to help with the build-up. Obviously, the qualities needed for these two types of players differ a lot.
If you reckon that Xavi, Gundogan can be named "DM pivots" in that pairs, it's your right, but you use the term in a wrong way.

Not a DM, but does anyone think we should be in for Barkley? He's entering the last year of his contract and Koeman says Everton will look to sell him if he doesn't sign an extension. Would be a good chance to get a cut price young(ish) English player in a position that we need strengthening. He got 22 goals and assists last season, which is impressive for a 21/22 year old (at the time). This season not so good, but a change of scenery could see him develop into a great CM.

Not a DM, but does anyone think we should be in for Barkley? He's entering the last year of his contract and Koeman says Everton will look to sell him if he doesn't sign an extension. Would be a good chance to get a cut price young(ish) English player in a position that we need strengthening. He got 22 goals and assists last season, which is impressive for a 21/22 year old (at the time). This season not so good, but a change of scenery could see him develop into a great CM.
If he is cheap then yes as longbas he is happy to be a bench/squad player, which I doubt. Good enough for a squad filler but not a starter.

My guess is that we could try him as DM. He's slightly above average as eight, but has all qualities and awesome physique to be our pivot/wavebreaker. I was told he also has some experience playing as 6.
Edit: Yaya wasn't a DM before signing for Barca as well.

Speaking of realistic targets (Weigl, Llorente won't leave, Goretzka is probably Bayern-bound) - I would take a gamble on both Carvalho and Barkley and watch who survives.

I don't think either are good enough. The scatter gun approach Isn't really a sensible idea, and they'd cost minimum £75M combined.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.