Defensive Wingers

I'd say it's to do with the modern obsession with dominating midfield, and the increasing use of systems to achieve this, which rely on attacking fullbacks. The diamond midfield and the 4-2-3-1 are all less effective without fullbacks who bomb on. It is a trend in the British game, no doubt about it.

I think in the modern game this trend of attacking fullbacks being valued over the solid 'Neville type' has more or less coincided with the 'inside out wingers' fad. The best example of this I think is at Barca, where Messi cuts inside with or without the ball, the fullback always goes with him, this creates a channel of space on the right wing for Alves to bomb forward and offer another attacking option. It happens at Arsenal to with Clichy and Nasri, and I think it's something Mancini is trying to introduce here. Certain managers have seen this potential to boost their attacking options and have taken it.

I dont know if this bears any relevence but I had a conversation with my Brother years ago about an England team selection.

Lee Dixon had been left out and a very young Phil Neville had been selected ahead of him. I couldn't see the logic - my Brother said " the Games changed; you dont pick who is best, you pick who is fastest".

Maybe our squad needs a Gutierrez or Seamus Coleman type in there to protect the shape of the side from the likes of Nani and Bale?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.