Delph and Fernando in defence?

Delph commented that he had learnt more in three weeks with Pep than in his entire career!

He also said to look out for surprises...Lb obvious choice, but with his engine, pace and tackling could we be looking at a macherano role ?

Correct, I was slaughtered for suggesting it. Delph reminds me of Keita but shitter. Mobile, always on the front foot. Decent anticipation and fairly decent on the ball. Pep requires more than fairly decent on the ball in a central midfielder though.

He's got a decent left foot, decent pace, decent creativity. Lots of energy. A ideal candidate for full back.

Don't understand why you would have got slaughtred for that, I thought the general feeling before Pep even arrived was that he might try players in positions they are not known for playing. Delph would be an interesting experiment as a left back or wingback. Worth a go at least.

Whether it's happening though I've no idea.

I can see Pep developing Fernandinho into a CB. You'd lose his energy in midfield, but I think he's the type of athletic, intelligent, ball-playing CB Pep would like.

Delph isn't good enough for me. Lacks technical ability and passing range. I can't see him being a starter

I don’t agree with that. He was the stand out player for Villa for a couple of years (although obviously in a poor squad). He has never been a pacey player so it was his passing and technical skill and his ability to influence a game that made him stand out. Typically when Villa played well and got results he was at the centre of it, it’s also notable that the season after he left they completely fell apart and got relegated.

I assume Delph struggles slightly with us as he is up against technically outstanding players, he would be the creative force and the conduit in the team at Villa but when you are in a midfield with the likes of Silva, KDB or Yaya he has to find a slightly different role and he was never a defensively biased player, all rounder yes but it was his ability on the ball that made him stand out.

Hart, Fernandinho, ottamendi, Delph

Back 3 and goaly vs Sunderland.

With kolarov and zabba as the wide 2 in a 5 man midfield.

Pep is supposed to be full of surprises isn't he?

@Dax777 has been pretty vocal on Delph as a possible left back, but it was @schfc6 who first called it a few months before him and he got dogs abuse for suggesting it. Think some may end up owing him an apology soon...
In fairness there were many who were saying this before me. Schfc6, Cityfan94, some guy with a very long name and a few others. But as it's often the norm the majority drowned us out.

I just happened to be one of those who got into long-winded arguments about the validity of such a positional switch. :)

The switch isn't particularly unique, surprising or even interesting. That many felt the need to make it sound like folks were being ridiculous to even suggest it, was a bit strange.

I guess lots of us see things very differently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.