Denis Law debut. 1960. Away kit colour !

Still got the match report in the fail. Billy Bremmer debut as well. It says Bremmer will be better than Law. Things don't change!​

The disallowed Spurs goal in that footage, by the way, comes when Spurs were awarded a penalty right at the end of the first half and Cliff Jones had his spot kick saved by Bert Trautmann. Jones knocked in the rebound but because the ref had already extended the opening period to allow the penalty to be taken, he blew his whistle for half time as soon as Trautmann made the initial save and the goal didn't count.

It was a controversial moment for Spurs, though. They finished third in the league that year, a point behind Wolves and two behind eventual champions Burnley, but they had the best goal average of the three. So had the penalty rebound stood and if they'd gone on to beat us rather than having a blank first half then succumbing to Clive Colbridge's late goal, they'd have been the champions that year. Somehow I doubt they'll gain much sympathy on here!

EDIT - That Spurs game took place on 16 April 1960, exactly 4 weeks after Law's debut at Elland Road, but the yellow away shorts and socks with maroon trim plus white shorts seems to be a completely different away strip from the one we wore at Leeds.

I think the black shorts were worn at Leeds because of a clash of shorts, and the white shorts at Spurs for same possible reason. I think the black shorts were supposed to be the regular away shorts.

I don't remember a Leeds player called Bremmer. Was he related to Billy Bremner?
th

c66ba69fb26ece2b5024a0357255675c--denis-law-retro-football.jpg

Orange maroon and white

Also with dark shorts here
images

Also found this, possible 1921 away kit
8408d0f0400eff4f0a81df4b26742324.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was old gold & black and I remember a newspaper photo of Law playing in that game which highlighted a hole in one of his socks. The caption went something along the lines of "£55,000 for Denis Law and City couldn't even give him a decent pair of socks" Mind you, Denis probably had the only pair that weren't darned at the toes !

c66ba69fb26ece2b5024a0357255675c--denis-law-retro-football.jpg

Orange maroon and white

Also with dark shorts here
images

Also found this, possible 1921 away kit
8408d0f0400eff4f0a81df4b26742324.jpg
I used the top, coloured photo in Manchester The Greatest City, but the shirt colour was not orange it was yellow (the original 'coloured' version was a bit of artistic licence. Interested in your 1921 away idea - what's the source? I'd be keen to follow that up. Maroon or scarlet was typically the away colour in the 1920s. Cheers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.