Depression, addressing it and moving on / anti depressants

To return to the OP. Some things I found helpful. If you are going with talking therapy then, if you have the choice, go with someone that helps you feel 'listened to' more than 'talked down at' - this in itself will feel like blessing. Be gentle with yourself as best you can but if you can't, then that's ok too. Trust that there is way through this - even if you don't yet know how, even if your own way may seem different to others.

Wow! At least you show, for the second time, you have never experienced depression and are only viewing this as through a window of a house you've never stepped in, but are assuming its history is exactly the same as every other house on the street!

And, in clear knowledge of this, you use reductive argument to underline your point; if water and food are drugs then we are what we eat?

Let's take your philosophy to a logical place of reasoning; I, along with many others, choose not to ADD man made substances into our already drug packed bodies. Many of us would rather 'self medicate' by releasing own natural chemicals, so we're strong enough to fight our issues ourselves or seek further help for that fight.

Simply painting with broad strokes may cover everything for you, but you miss the underlying details of the picture that's there.

So, yes, some may want the broad strokes, but some want to deal with the details when they're ready.

Don't judge them for that choice.

Oh, and by the way, comparing cancer/ leukaemia to mental illness is staggeringly stupid! Staggeringly!

The pathways may have similar traits, but you can learn to live with depression better than learning to live with cancer or leukaemia!

You choose not to add man made substances into your body?

Like penicillin for example.

And I'd love to hear what a natural chemical is and how it differs from a man made one

And I don't have "a philosophy" about this. What I'm talking about is called "medicine".

Last few posts have made for depressing reading...handy if you want to support the pharmaceuticals industry but apart from that?

Yeah just like how teaching people to make a sling is a depressing support of the bandage manufacturing industry.

You choose not to add man made substances into your body?

Like penicillin for example.

And I'd love to hear what a natural chemical is and how it differs from a man made one

And I don't have "a philosophy" about this. What I'm talking about is called "medicine".

I'll play your game as well.

Have you had depression?

How does your 'one-size-fits-all' medicine 'fix' the depression of rape and/ or violence?

Yeah just like how teaching people to make a sling is a depressing support of the bandage manufacturing industry.
Here, I have nothing against folk taking anti-depressants - some find them a 'life-saver,' some find them a support along the way to letting go of unhappiness - yet there are others
(my self included) for whom they don't work and so have to find another way. So, from practical experience, I find your thinking to be somewhat limited. Is funny that a busy intellectual mind cannot know or truly understand the quiet joy beyond itself yet those who are limited to only intellectual thinking believe they know best how to bring happiness. But you seem to be saying that I cannot know joy unless I adhere to your way of thinking - even hinting that, if 'I' do not agree with you, I must somehow be uneducated and/or immoral. That doesn't seem too different to a priest that insists only he is capable of 'understanding' the truth, that everyone else is somehow incapable of knowing the truth for themselves. Is this really the goal of science these days? Not overly 'enlightening' perhaps?

Last edited:
Great post Pole.
I've been the victim of depression for the last 7 years. Luckily not me personally but my wife has been battling it with all her might. We have got through the worst bit,s more or less, but the fucker still wont leave her for good.
She's like a bloke in the 'keep it to yourself' department and it takes a lot to get her to talk. But talk she does and it's the best weapon she has in her fight.

Good on her and you for being supportive. Hope she is able to improve even more. Women are generally emotionally stronger than us twats.

Thank fuck I've never been affected by depression. There have been quite a few threads on here talking about this subject, and it's never nice reading. I see a lot of it in the workplace as well. I'm not even going to attempt to try and give the op an answer, however I hope you get over it whichever way you can. Scoring 5 away might be a start!

Thanks so much for every suggestion, recommendation and advice on here. I've done a lot of research on anti depressants over the past few days and spoke to a few people who've had them. The general consensus I was taking was negative. I know more Peopel who said don't than do but I'm not ruling it out completely going to see how I go.

I will say talking to friends and family has been amazing. I've spoke to two mates who also told me they struggle and I had no idea. I've forced myself to be busy all weekend and got a pen and paper and wrote about everything that was bad in my life and everything that's good. I'm keeping that piece of paper and looking at it when I'm down because I am lucky, I just want the sadness to go. I'm def going to get counselling. Talking freely about how I feel over the past few days has been so liberating. Occasionally I get an anxious knot in my stomach so I know I'm not right but I'm determined to get better. Thanks all

Thanks so much for every suggestion, recommendation and advice on here. I've done a lot of research on anti depressants over the past few days and spoke to a few people who've had them. The general consensus I was taking was negative. I know more Peopel who said don't than do but I'm not ruling it out completely going to see how I go.

I will say talking to friends and family has been amazing. I've spoke to two mates who also told me they struggle and I had no idea. I've forced myself to be busy all weekend and got a pen and paper and wrote about everything that was bad in my life and everything that's good. I'm keeping that piece of paper and looking at it when I'm down because I am lucky, I just want the sadness to go. I'm def going to get counselling. Talking freely about how I feel over the past few days has been so liberating. Occasionally I get an anxious knot in my stomach so I know I'm not right but I'm determined to get better. Thanks all

I don't know if you've seen it but I recently came across a book by Mo Gawdat "Solve for Happy". Clearly it's not for everyone, but from my own point-of-view as a logical thinker (and someone who will not go down the medication route under any circumstances), finding something written by a man whose own life experiences mirror my own almost exactly lends a lot of credence and credibility to what he advises. As I say, perhaps not for everyone but well worth a look.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.