Discrimination for refusing to bake a cake?

I'm With Stupid

'Gay cake' appeal: Christian bakers Ashers lose appeal
The Christian owners of a Northern Ireland bakery have lost their appeal against a court ruling that their refusal to make a "gay cake" was discriminatory.

An appeal court has upheld the original court's decision that Ashers in County Antrim discriminated against a gay man.

Two years ago, the family-run firm refused to make a cake with the slogan "Support Gay Marriage".

Story

I'm quite disturbed by this. If they'd refused to bake a wedding cake on the grounds that it was a gay marriage, then I'd agree that it's discrimination. But what this judgement is effectively saying is that it's discrimination to refuse to produce a product carrying a political message that you disagree with. Essentially, I could sue any baker who refused to bake this cake:

nazicakearticle.jpg

Yes, I went straight to Nazis. What of it?

Story

I'm quite disturbed by this. If they'd refused to bake a wedding cake on the grounds that it was a gay marriage, then I'd agree that it's discrimination. But what this judgement is effectively saying is that it's discrimination to refuse to produce a product carrying a political message that you disagree with. Essentially, I could sue any baker who refused to bake this cake:

nazicakearticle.jpg

Straight in on Godwin's law, well played sir at getting to 1 in record time.

It's a strange one. On the one hand if you behave in a way as to offend someone by way of race, nationality or sexual orientation then it's considered a hate crime. So for example if you shout the N word to a black person in the street then quite rightly you'd be arrested for a racist incident. However if a white baker refused to bake a cake with "Black lives matter" on it, I don't see that as quite the same thing. If the white baker refuses to bake the cake because he overtly states that he doesn't like blacks then that aggravates the situation and could be seen as showing a behaviour that is deemed racist. So I think it's a fine line between someone having an opinion and keeping it to themselves and overtly stating their position on the issue. I don't know the full facts about this case but if, as well as not baking the cake, the baker has chipped in with his views then it's probably not really about the cake but the views he has expressed which exacerbated the situation.

I kind of see the point. If they can refuse baking a cake then whats stopping hotels refusing a room or restaurants refusing a table. On the other hand, just find another bakers...

Story

nazicakearticle.jpg

Who does stupid say he's with?

Disturbing...I am concerned that some of the old dears who serve in my local Greggs are politically unsound...I shall of course be taking my business elsewhere, or until I get a full staff breakdown from the manager of all his employees political/religious affectations. Actually, come to think of it the ethic mix in there isn't what you would call balanced....hmmm.

I kind of see the point. If they can refuse baking a cake then whats stopping hotels refusing a room or restaurants refusing a table. On the other hand, just find another bakers...
I don't think anyone's arguing with discrimination being illegal. They didn't refuse to make a cake because the man who ordered it was gay (I don't know if he was). They refused to bake a cake with a political slogan that they disagreed with. Newspapers and magazines are completely free to refuse adverts on the grounds that they disagree with the message, so why should other businesses be forced to?

Imagine you had a graphic design or sign writing company, and Westboro Baptist Church came in and asked you to make some placards for their latest protest against dead soldiers and gay people, would it be discrimination for you to refuse?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.