Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancity19

It's been a hugely underwhelming start. Barring Newcastle, every game has been almost painful to watch, and exactly like the worst of last season.
There are basic things that aren't being done right, and in my opinion, Yaya isn't a central midfielder, but I'm not a football manager..!
I was a Mancini outer, purely due to the fact I didn't believe he got nearly enough out of the squad- just because I was a Mancini outer, though, doesn't mean I have to go to ridiculous lengths to decent everything Pellegrini does. We have looked poor. BUT, it is only 4 games in and that is far too early to judge.
We can't rely on Kompany at the moment, with his recent injury record there is no certainty he won't pick up another injury soon.

If we are still like this after 10-15 games then it may be time to worry. What originally looked like an ideal opportunity to win the league after early strengthening, and the departure of Ferguson, now looks like one of the hardest years to make the top 4 (for any team) with the buys of Spurs and the potential of Arsenal, given Girouds early scoring form and Ramseys. At a push you could even say Lpool are there or thereabouts, though I am sure they will soon drop off.

I still believe with Pellegrini's history of top man management and relative success in the champions league, that it will come good, BUT this has far from been the start I expected.

Re: Discuss Pellegrini

jrb said:
Just watched goals on Sunday.

Pulis and Reid both stated without hesitation that our build up play/play is far too slow and it allows other teams to get back into position.

Perhaps it's just me, but wasn't the same complaint about Mancini and his tactics?

When Pelegrini came I was expecting La Liga style footbal. Fast/high tempo, and turning the ball over quickly. Exactly like the performance against Bayern Munich.

Instead City/Pelegrini seems to..........

Completely agree with this ... baffling that we played with such tempo and verve against Newcastle and then have seemingly gone back into our shells subsequently. Plus the way we played yesterday or against Hull, even Cardiff ... I've never seen a team of Pellegrini's play in that manner.

BillyShears said:
strongbowholic said:
How can it have been broken when we had the best defensive record in the league? What was broken was the lack of pace in the team going forward and the lack of expansiveness (is that word?). The defence was the last thing that needed tinkering imho.

You seem to be viewing the team as separate parts which don't effect each other, which simply isn't the case IMO. Any change in playing style would have to start at the back, therefore any change would effect the back 4. Plus on top of all that, no self respecting football manager who backs his own judgement is going to take a job and then say "right, the way the last guy did things worked so we're just going to do that again".
Fair enough, but that seems to go against absolutely everything that had been debated on here. I guess the danger by admitting such is that you end up giving credit to the devil.

So on that note I'm out, as there is no reasoned debate to be had.

BobKowalski said:
Cheesy said:
It's far too early to say that Manuel is a poor appointment, of course it is.

When new players & a new manager arrive poor performances can happen (yes, even three in a row) whilst everyone gets used to each other and to the new approach.

However, for one reason alone I am concerned.... I have absolutely no idea what this new approach is and, dare I say it, so far it looks as though the team doesn't either. What exactly is Manuel trying to do? What formation is he trying to get us playing and what attitude is he trying to instill?

There are people on here who know a great deal more than me about football. I'd be really grateful if a few of you could give your opinion on what you think he's trying to do.

So in answer to your question I have no idea what Pellers is trying to do or why it seems to be so fiendishly difficult for the team to adopt.

Bugger! You were one of the ones I was holding out the most hope for BK :(

simon23 said:
Marvin said:
Anything can happen in one or two games or even seconds that can turn a game of football on its head eg - ricochets, refereeing error etc. Don't pin

I have faith in the players. Whatever happens in the next 2 games, we will be OK.

I know we weren't great at Stoke, and we conceded a couple of good chances. But Garcia, Nasty, Joe and the full-backs did not crumble and that should give us hope. A bit of luck has come our way. Let's make the most of it now

Utd were rubbish this time last season and in hindsight those points they garnered when missing Vidic and Ferdinand? gave them the foundation to win the title. We've had our worst 3 games I can remember in 3 seasons but we are 4th, and the damage has not been done.

our worst 3 games have been based around the fact that our strengths in previous seasons (solidiity in defence - missing kompany is an issue) has gone (but that shodl have been rectified over the transfer windon and not a last minute panick buy in demichellis) and our ability to dominate a midfield and keep possession has also gone (and that is down to bad tactics and team formation which can only be levelled at the manager.....

the defensive situation will half sort its self out with the return of Kompany (but what happens next time....is dimechellis good enough????????)

only the manager can change his tactics and he hasnt done so far 2 games after getting dominated by cardiff in midfield - he made the same tactical errors with the midfield and we got run off the park at times vs hull (at home!!!!!!) and yesterday vs stoke away (by a manager on here who most derride and laugh at!!!!!).....that says to me in the short term he didnt learn a thing

I share you thoughts here, I would say the most concerning thing is that Pellegrini is persisting playing a style and formation that our players simply cannot play, he has seen us playing awful football against Cardiff and hull but tries exactly the same thing against stoke, why?

People talking about injuries and Kompany's return etcetera are just deluding themselves, until Pellegrini alters his tactics we will continue to outplayed in very single match.

We are constantly overrun in midfield and can not retain possession which leads too our defence having more work to do, which leads to them looking uncertain, Everyone was raving about Nasty last season and Lescott is an England international with years of experience, they have not turned into bad players overnight,the system has changed and it doesn't suit them.

Playing a two man midfield of fernandinho and Yaya is suicidal, if we play the same tactics in the next couple of games with the same players I think questions should be asked.

Last season we were told that Mancini plays boring football and we were going to play a more expansive, faster game this season, we were also told that Mancini had lost the dressing room and the players just were not playing for him anymore, hence the cup final performance etc.

So far this season, we have witnessed the 3 worst performances from city since Sven was here and the players look like more demotivated than ever.

I know this post is very negative, coming 4 games in to a new season, he needs time etc. I suppose I am just shocked and concerned at just how poor we currently are, he needs to get it sorted before the derby otherwise the talk of sacking etc will really start and the players will be under even more pressure

BillyShears said:
jrb said:

Pulis and Reid both stated without hesitation that our build up play/play is far too slow and it allows other teams to get back into position.

Perhaps it's just me, but wasn't the same complaint about Mancini and his tactics?

When Pelegrini came I was expecting La Liga style footbal. Fast/high tempo, and turning the ball over quickly. Exactly like the performance against Bayern Munich.

Completely agree with this ... baffling that we played with such tempo and verve against Newcastle and then have seemingly gone back into our shells subsequently. Plus the way we played yesterday or against Hull, even Cardiff ... I've never seen a team of Pellegrini's play in that manner.[/quo

Is it time to expect a bit more from the players then. We blamed Mancini. But as this is so unlike a Pellegrini time, perhaps it's time for the players to properly step up.

jrb said:

Pulis and Reid both stated without hesitation that our build up play/play is far too slow and it allowed Stoke( other teams) to get back into position.

Perhaps it's just me, but wasn't that the same complaint about Mancini and his tactics?

PULIS IN!!!!! At last, a manager we can all get behind.

dancity19 said:
It's been a hugely underwhelming start. Barring Newcastle, every game has been almost painful to watch, and exactly like the worst of last season.
There are basic things that aren't being done right, and in my opinion, Yaya isn't a central midfielder, but I'm not a football manager..!
I was a Mancini outer, purely due to the fact I didn't believe he got nearly enough out of the squad- just because I was a Mancini outer, though, doesn't mean I have to go to ridiculous lengths to decent everything Pellegrini does. We have looked poor. BUT, it is only 4 games in and that is far too early to judge.
We can't rely on Kompany at the moment, with his recent injury record there is no certainty he won't pick up another injury soon.

If we are still like this after 10-15 games then it may be time to worry. What originally looked like an ideal opportunity to win the league after early strengthening, and the departure of Ferguson, now looks like one of the hardest years to make the top 4 (for any team) with the buys of Spurs and the potential of Arsenal, given Girouds early scoring form and Ramseys. At a push you could even say Lpool are there or thereabouts, though I am sure they will soon drop off.

I still believe with Pellegrini's history of top man management and relative success in the champions league, that it will come good, BUT this has far from been the start I expected.

I agree with this, although I don't think we can afford to play as poorly for 10/15 games if we want to compete for trophies.

BillyShears said:
Marvin said:
Chelsea just lost at Everton with their first choice team out

On Friday Jamie Jackson in the Guardian described City as in the middle of a defensive injury crisis. In the circumstances we should be glad to have taken 4 points from 6. We've got out of jail. Perhaps we've ridden our luck, but that's part of football.

I'll keep banging the same drum ... but the league is much more competitive than it was last season from the bottom up. There are going to be no easy games, not just for us, but for everyone. Anyone who collects 80 points + will be the champions.
I wish we could get away from this obsession that its the defence is the problem, its not, its what's in front of it, or in fact what's not in front of it, and also its not our whole first striing defence that's out its half, the defence first choice is Zab Kompany Nastasic and Clichy. Demichellis was brought in as a panic buy because Kompany was out in my opinion, and that worked out well, not.

I agree that its going to be a harder league this year, but none of the new managers will be afforded time to get it right results wise, they will all come under scrutiny if they lose a game like we did at Cardiff. We need to be within 4 or 5 points of the top after 10 games regardless of "bedding in" time. That is now the level we are at. New players and managers will come and go, but all should be expected to come in and get on with it, if we truly are a top side.

BillyShears said:
Chippy_boy said:
I think you massively over-simplify the required skills of a good manager. And do you really think Baconface got his teams playing full on for 90 minutes by being a friendly old duffer? But even SAF was not all fire and brimstone - it's well documented that he had to tone it down for the Brazilians who would get all upset if (when) he gave them the hairdryer.

Probably the biggest disservice which is currently being done to Pellegrini are the snide comments about him being a "yes" man, and the characterisation of him as some dithering old fool who'll let the players walk all over him. Shows a staggering lack of knowledge about his career as a manager and the teams/situations/players he's handled.

I do wonder how many people on here watched Villareal in their pomp? I can remember watching them and thinking: how how this guy got this team playing like this well? Maybe he won't pull that trick off at City, with better player: I mean he couldn't win anything at Real Madrid;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.