Ditching Sky

I just use my PS3 or PS4 and have Netflix, Now TV, iPlayer and 4oD. I use Kodi for City and movies.

I have Virgin fibre as well.

I allowed Sky to fleece me for years by paying £73 each month by direct debit. They love(or used to) mugs like me as I sat there flicking through the discovery channels to find they were repeated and i'd watched most of what I was interested in. When you watch football, they cant wait for HT so they can ram copious amounts of adverts down yer throats!
And then there's pay per view. So you pay for Boxing and in between most rounds they cram as many ads in there as they can.

I told them to cancel my subscription 2 years ago. Bought a Kodi box off ebay for £40, and a friend of a friend installed a dodgy Sky box for £110. It may freeze and scramble occasionally and I might lose the server now and then but I just take the box to the guy who installed it and he plugs a memory stick in it and updates it within 5 minutes. I'm able to watch all the channels I could whilst on Sky.

I did like Sky and all the features of the Sky box, but when they blatantly rip you off then they only have themselves to blame when people like me cancel

There are a lot of mugs out there! I would urge everyone who has SKY to at least make sure they are on some sort of deal, I was offered £30 off within 2 mins of my call yesterday and I suspect that the offers will be down to 50% off before the end of the June.

I cancelled last week mate. With TV package, multiroom, HD, Sports, Line rental and broadband, they were putting it up to £113 after offers had just expired! I wanted to keep the line rental and broadband though.

Got Kodi with Fire TV, phoned them and after a while of trying to keep me (best offer for my package £89) I cancelled the TV package. Confirmed that I could get Freesat (240 channels) through the Sky+ box, and with a £10 subscription could keep the pause rewind and record facilities for Freesat. Also, did me a 'leavers offer' (?) of taking a tenner off my line rental (pays for the Sky+ subscription) and giving me FREE broadband. Work that out.

So now, from £113 a month, I'll now be paying £10 for Sky+ with Freesat, and £7 for line rental, saving me £96 a month. And with Freesat and Kodi it will do for me :)

More importantly, I feel liberated :)

Why don't you get even more liberated and get a Humax freesat box? Then you can do all the record and pause stuff and not have to pay Sky a penny.

I've got an old Foxsat-HDR (Humax box) with custom firmware on it. It does everything the Sky HD box does, and...

• Streams HD recordings around the house so I can watch on a tablet, laptop, smart TV in bedroom etc
  • Enables me to download HD recordings to USB sticks or whatever
  • Lets me copy recordings to my computer over the network

It's basically not far off Sky-Q functionality and it costs me £0 per month.

Why don't you get even more liberated and get a Humax freesat box? Then you can do all the record and pause stuff and not have to pay Sky a penny.

I've got an old Foxsat-HDR (Humax box) with custom firmware on it. It does everything the Sky HD box does, and...

• Streams HD recordings around the house so I can watch on a tablet, laptop, smart TV in bedroom etc
  • Enables me to download HD recordings to USB sticks or whatever
  • Lets me copy recordings to my computer over the network

It's basically not far off Sky-Q functionality and it costs me £0 per month.

......I'm on it right now! Cheers pal, full liberation here I come! :)

Phoned up to get my dad a new deal he currently pays £65 without the movies they offered it me for £55, I pointed out he'd had sky since 1989 and that new customers can get everything for £30 a month for 12 months. They just couldn't do anything I pointed out about kodi and I think they know this is causing lots to cancel.
I'm going to cancel it and probably get the new customer deal at my house then take the box to his, he's getting on a bit and trying to get him using kodi is a pain I've tried, sky does everything he wants in one box unfortunately he's so used to it. I cancelled years ago and never looked back I rarely watch live tv anyway and with catchup and kodi I've saved a fortune.

Phoned up to get my dad a new deal he currently pays £65 without the movies they offered it me for £55, I pointed out he'd had sky since 1989 and that new customers can get everything for £30 a month for 12 months. They just couldn't do anything I pointed out about kodi and I think they know this is causing lots to cancel.
I'm going to cancel it and probably get the new customer deal at my house then take the box to his, he's getting on a bit and trying to get him using kodi is a pain I've tried, sky does everything he wants in one box unfortunately he's so used to it. I cancelled years ago and never looked back I rarely watch live tv anyway and with catchup and kodi I've saved a fortune.

I need to sort my fokes out. I think my dad has been paying full whack since the 90's.

I cancelled virgin package and when they came grovelling I said I would keep the broadband but only that, no tv or phone.
I now get 150mbps and firetv box with kodi on it and every laptop and tablet in the house.

I tried to set my dad up with a similar set up after he bought an MXQ box but its utter dogshit over wifi through BT's "2-6 mbps guarenteed" broadband !!

Sky seem to do far better deals than Virgin which is a shame.

We would go free sat but there are a few must have channels ( sky 1, watch, Alibi ) that aren't on there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.