Djibril Sidibé

domalino already said it all. I posted this video a few months back in the Full Backs thread. And these aren't just selective highlights. He plays with this intensity every time I've watched him. He never went missing.

domalino already said it all. I posted this video a few months back in the Full Backs thread. And these aren't just selective highlights. He plays with this intensity every time I've watched him. He never went missing.

It will be very interesting to see him up against Sané tonight.

He looks quite a talent and he offers something that we don't have in any of our other fullbacks, Also It'll be good to see how he plays against our wingers tonight.

In fairness this video is more impressive than when I've watched him. He reminds me of Dammy Rose when I watch him with a bit of Arsenal version Clichy aggression mixed in.

This video shows him being great on the ball. Watching him doesn't support that view. He is a bit clunky on the ball. But very aggressive with and without the.

Energy wise he'll be a hit because we have a bunch of 30something year-olds playing fullback right now, and a guy that shows the type of energy he does would make our current fullbacks look like Geriatrics.

That said, perhaps him on one side and a much more fluid fullback like Bernat or Grimaldo on the other side may be the right balance. And I can see why many like him.

I'm much more partial towards Semedo at Benfica myself. His footballing technique is top notch and a shoe in for what we do.

@domalino referred to Sidibe as someone who could become our Dani Alves. But for my money I don't see a young fullback who is more like Alves than Semedo. Similar drive, confidence and technical skill levels.

Personally I'd hope for
Semedo, and in the absence of that, I'll take Pereira or Karsdorp over Sidibe. Perhaps even Heinrich at Bayer. These guys will be just much more comfortable in an intricate passing system in my opinion.

Sidibe's Kante styled tacking and size/speed combo are appealing, but I'd rather someone who could do some of that and a lot more quick tight space passing and dribbling. And for that, the aforementioned 3 (perhaps 4 according to those who have seen more of Heinrich) are superior to Sidibe at it. And none of them are defensive slouches by any stretch. Especially Perreira and Karsdorp. They bring that hard work to defending too.

Semedo is a bit Dani Alves like, in that he defends aggressively in spurts. But in a pressing system he will be top notch just like Dani often was. So I'm not worried.

But if it turns out to be Sidibe, I won't be disappointed like I was with getting Bony or Mangala. But I'll believe we could have gotten a few better options.

Last edited:
Both fullbacks looked great attacking fullbacks last night, but If Pep wants fullbacks more suited to playing the inverted full back role rather than the marauding one, I think Fabinho is the better fit than Sidibe.

I thought Mendy looked great last night but I don't understand the rave reviews of this Sidibe lad. I thought he had lots of energy but looked like an accident waiting to happen throughout. He should have received two yellows before half time and it was nothing short of a miracle (dodgy refereeing) that he wasn't sent off before full time. No thanks, not for me

Both fullbacks looked great attacking fullbacks last night, but If Pep wants fullbacks more suited to playing the inverted full back role rather than the marauding one, I think Fabinho is the better fit than Sidibe.

We can get them both. Just because they're marauding doesn't mean they can't tuck in. Besides I think Pep works with what he has. At Barca he had Dani Alves who was bombing forward so much that he played like a winger.

We can get them both. Just because they're marauding doesn't mean they can't tuck in. Besides I think Pep works with what he has. At Barca he had Dani Alves who was bombing forward so much that he played like a winger.
You may be right, but one advantage of letting all the full backs grow old and out out contract is Pep doesn't need to work with what he has he can model the whole backline and pivot to exactly what he wants.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.