Do Petitions Work?

Phil Meup

things are gonna change - I can feel it!!!!
I don't think so.
Go on facebook or open your email, & someone is urging you to sign a petition for some (generally) good cause. It's becoming an epidemic. What is the point?! Surely the powers that be do not take any notice!
Signing a petition is good only for easing a conscience. Do more: direct action makes them sit up.

Agreed.

But what about http://petition.parliament.uk/

I'm sure it states that if a petition gains over 100,000 signatures, it has to be debated in the House of Commons?
Sure, those in power can still brush the issue off, but it's something at least.

Although I fully agree, actual people on foot, out there in public view is far more effective

Ghoncheh Ghavami, a British-Iranian woman, was freed from jail in Iran after 777,000 people signed a petition calling for her release.

A total of 37,000 people signed Caroline Criado-Perez’s petition calling on the Bank of England to keep a woman on bank notes, prompting a commitment to place Jane Austen on the £10 note - and a torrent of misogynist abuse and threats towards Criado Perez.

An Italian petition called for an end to the annual payments given to former lawmakers convicted of corruption, including ties to organised crime.
In May this year, Italy’s chamber of deputies voted to abolish the payments, after 522,991 signed it.

615,103 people opposed Thailand’s controversial amnesty bill that would have protected people, including the prime minister’s brother, from corruption charges.
In November 2013, the country’s senate voted the bill down.

622,328 people signed a Turkish petitionin defence of senior officials at Fenerbahçe Sports Club, a football club whose management was accused of match-fixing.
The petition claimed the case violated “basic legal principles” and called for a retrial, which was eventually ordered.

728,144 people signed a petition to have Grand Theft Auto V released on the PC.
The 2013 blockbuster was initially released only on PlayStation 3 and X-Box 360. Eventually, Rockstar Games announced it would release a PC version.

What your real fear is i think would be all these arseholes starting petition sites. If it is kept to 1-2 accredited ones that are well administered then good. Beyond that it is hard for the owners of these sites as it gets pushed on them in such a circumstance that who is worth a petition and who is not.

A solid framework for a valid cause should be established.

Agreed.

But what about http://petition.parliament.uk/

I'm sure it states that if a petition gains over 100,000 signatures, it has to be debated in the House of Commons?
Sure, those in power can still brush the issue off, but it's something at least.

Although I fully agree, actual people on foot, out there in public view is far more effective

Usual misinformed rubbish.

A petition that gets 100,000 signatures WILL BE CONSIDERED for debate by some boring old farts who sit in judgement once they've stopped laughing at the idiots who post them and the others that sign them.

Do you really think they debated whether Jeremy Clarkson should be PM?

Petitions are an utter waste of time and effort designed to fool disgusted of Tunbridge and his ilk that he actually has a say.

Ghoncheh Ghavami, a British-Iranian woman, was freed from jail in Iran after 777,000 people signed a petition calling for her release.

A total of 37,000 people signed Caroline Criado-Perez’s petition calling on the Bank of England to keep a woman on bank notes, prompting a commitment to place Jane Austen on the £10 note - and a torrent of misogynist abuse and threats towards Criado Perez.

An Italian petition called for an end to the annual payments given to former lawmakers convicted of corruption, including ties to organised crime.
In May this year, Italy’s chamber of deputies voted to abolish the payments, after 522,991 signed it.

615,103 people opposed Thailand’s controversial amnesty bill that would have protected people, including the prime minister’s brother, from corruption charges.
In November 2013, the country’s senate voted the bill down.

622,328 people signed a Turkish petitionin defence of senior officials at Fenerbahçe Sports Club, a football club whose management was accused of match-fixing.
The petition claimed the case violated “basic legal principles” and called for a retrial, which was eventually ordered.

728,144 people signed a petition to have Grand Theft Auto V released on the PC.
The 2013 blockbuster was initially released only on PlayStation 3 and X-Box 360. Eventually, Rockstar Games announced it would release a PC version.

Any UK petition ever achieved anything?

Usual misinformed rubbish.

A petition that gets 100,000 signatures WILL BE CONSIDERED for debate by some boring old farts who sit in judgement once they've stopped laughing at the idiots who post them and the others that sign them.

Do you really think they debated whether Jeremy Clarkson should be PM?

Petitions are an utter waste of time and effort designed to fool disgusted of Tunbridge and his ilk that he actually has a say.

So are you saying they do or don't work?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.