Do Petitions Work?

Five years is a long time.

Especially under the Tories with their odds on balls up re Brexit heading our way like a runaway train. The BOE confirmed the reversal of wage growth that will increase.

We will be great though.

There was a petition organised 10 years or so ago regarding the closure of Altrincham general hospital. All the services were to be transferred to Trafford general hospital, if I recall it properly, and it caused a bit of unrest in the south of the borough as it was an awkward place to travel to by public transport. I knew a couple of elderly people at the time who didn't own cars, and it took most of the day to travel there and back.

I signed the petition, and thought nothing more of it until some while later I received a letter in a House of Commons envelope. It was from our MP, Graham Brady, who was pleased to say that not only was the future of Altrincham hospital assured, a new hospital was going to be built to replace the existing one.

He then went on to thank me for signing the petition, and explained that simple actions like signing a petition can have a real and tangible influence when the community has strong feelings about decisions that will affect them.

It helped that he was very pro active in stopping the closure, but nevertheless, it was a letter of thanks from a man working in the heart of our political system saying they can work.

There was a petition organised 10 years or so ago regarding the closure of Altrincham general hospital. All the services were to be transferred to Trafford general hospital, if I recall it properly, and it caused a bit of unrest in the south of the borough as it was an awkward place to travel to by public transport. I knew a couple of elderly people at the time who didn't own cars, and it took most of the day to travel there and back.

I signed the petition, and thought nothing more of it until some while later I received a letter in a House of Commons envelope. It was from our MP, Graham Brady, who was pleased to say that not only was the future of Altrincham hospital assured, a new hospital was going to be built to replace the existing one.

He then went on to thank me for signing the petition, and explained that simple actions like signing a petition can have a real and tangible influence when the community has strong feelings about decisions that will affect them.

It helped that he was very pro active in stopping the closure, but nevertheless, it was a letter of thanks from a man working in the heart of our political system saying they can work.

You don't need petitions though.
Weight of Mail is just as effective.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.