Does anybody wonder about the type of people who wonder about other people's sexuality?

Back in the 70s I was sitting on a bus in Manchester when I realised that the woman sat next to me was actually a man, reading a copy of Gay News. Must admit I was shocked to the core. In particular, I was horrified at the thought that other passengers might think that I was with him/her. I was extremely relieved when I arrived at my destination.

But that was a completely different era. I think my shock was largely because, despite being in my late teens, I had never met anyone who was openly gay. I might as well have been sitting next to a martian. Thankfully nowadays its the norm to know people who are openly gay. Its just no big deal. But in those days it was. In those days people did speculate whether other people were gay, and not in a kind way. These days I think people do speculate about people's sexuality but in most cases its no more than idle curiosity.

The fact that the vast majority of homophobia in the world is motivated by religion is what annoys me the most. I'm not religious, haven't been since I was very young, but if you ask me the best thing religion can do is bring people together. Using it as ammunition to divide humanity defeats the point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.