Does anyone remember?

The derby in 92 when Curle equalised with a pen was a rearranged game too, after the initial one was postponed.
I was in New Zealand at the time.... didn't know the game was being played as I didn't know when or if it had been rearranged at the time. Bought a newspaper and read the result in the sports section!

Was in the stretford end for that one, awesome sight our lads in the away behind the goal when Curle slotted it, White missed a sitter a bit later on if i remember ?

Yeh, I was at the baseball ground as a young lad that day, we were trailing 2-1 when we got a last minute corner. Pretty sure Dennis Tueart scored with a header only for Clive the book to rule it out as he'd already blown for Full time. See, we got screwed off refs back in them days too!!
I was at that game,if memory serves me right it was halftime and not full-time he blew.Spot on it was Tueart with a header.

Who remembers in the same season 77/78 February playing away at Ashton gate 1st division game on a Friday night,brought forward due to the other Bristol club playing at home in the cup the following afternoon.

The away Derby in 1977/78 being postponed due to a waterlogged pitch/torrential rain.

I've tried to look into this, including asking @Gary James if he can dig anything out, but to date, no joy.

I recall a couple of things vividly:

Looking forward to listening to a Derby (pretty sure it was in 1978) on Piccadilly Radio (not the full commentary - this was the dark ages) and playing football out the back of mum and dad's for about four hours in the pouring rain leading up to kick off - and when I came in to listen to the game, my mum told me the game wasn't going ahead due to bad weather.

Going to (what I recall was) the postponed fixture. It was at old trafford on 15th March (had to look that bit up) and I sat with my dad in the united end (scoreboard end). I was only 8 and I remember united going 2-0 up, upon which I burst into tears. Two united fans sat behind us tried to console me (believe it or not). We then pulled two goals back (Peter Barnes and Kiddo) and I stopped crying. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Those two events definitely happened, but I'm struggling to find anything to connect them.

The one thing that, above anything else, makes me think my mind isn't playing tricks on me, is that the 'postponed' game was played on a Wednesday evening. Highly unusual for a non-rearranged Derby (2012 noted). Plus, generally, in spite of my strenuous efforts to destroy my brain cells over the last 30 odd years, I've still got a pretty good memory.

Does anyone else remember this? Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Like yesterday I would have only been 3/4 at the time but I was very advanced for my years.

I remember being at Old Trafford for a second leg league cup semi final game (we won the Maine Road leg 2-1), when Stepney saved an indirect free kick, which would have resulted in a goal kick if he'd let it go in the net, and Summerbee scored from the rebound to give City a 4-3 aggregate win. How we laughed!

Didn't Joe Royle get a couple and we lost 4-0?
It finished 2-2 don't know who scored for them,just found out (you tube) that our very first appearance on match of the day was at Bristol City 2nd division game 65/66 season 1-1,probably the first match they shown outside of the 1st division.Don't remember watching that game but I do remember match of the day in its early years was only on BBC 2 and you had to up grade your aerial and not many in our street in Gorton could afford that lol.

It wasn't Clive Thomas who reffed that game at the Baseball Ground, it was Derek Civil - I wasn't feeling too "civil" towards him at the time.

Thanks for that. I've been nursing that particular grievance for about 40 years. I remember watching the Brazil game and putting 2 and 2 together, immediately associating Clive Thomas with our game at the Baseball ground. In my defence, information was harder to come by in those days before we had the internet.

Who remembers in the same season 77/78 February playing away at Ashton gate 1st division game on a Friday night,brought forward due to the other Bristol club playing at home in the cup the following afternoon.
Yes I went down on the Finglands coach from Maine Rd, a fairly entertaining game as I recall, we had quite a decent following for a long-distance night game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.