Don Price's new book - ''We Never Win At Home & We Never Win Away'' now on Kindle (P12)

Did he tell you to fuck off?
No, I didn't (not yet anyway). Actually, as we all know it's often difficult to get attention for our books and I'm probably as bad as anyone at promoting others' stuff but, as with your own books and Don's, I always hope to be supportive as these are written by proper fans. At times people see City and think that they'll make some money out of churning out a book and, I've got to admit, I've occasionally been approached by publishers who've said 'let's cash in on' whatever the latest angle is. I've always said no (probably the reason I've not published a book for almost 6 years now - though that will change soon). So when any true Blue writes something that's new or got a different angle I'm keen to see it succeed. As Don has probably said somewhere it's better for fans to write the true stories of the club than some cash-in writer who has probably never known what it's like to stand on the Kippax or to chant about Helen, or who has experienced being penned in in front of United's K Stand as all kinds of crap is lobbed on you from above.

I hope Don's book is successful and I would urge any Blue who has a story to tell or wants to write a book to do it. Don't repeat what's already out there (leave that to those cashing in), get new stories, angles, opinions and so on. There's so much that hasn't been written that it's great when someone does something new. I'm looking forward to your book Don. Cheers

I know the saying goes; never judge a book by its cover, but dear god that cover looks awful.
Before we aproved the cover we sent a copy to 20 City fans for there comments all but one thought it was either excellent .brilliant or really good .everyone said it was straight to the point and fans can fet the gist of the book straight away .i had reservations to start with but it grew in me .since we starting advertising the book about 500 people have seen it and up to now you the only one that doesnt like it .lets hope its like roses and it grows on you ha ha

No, I didn't (not yet anyway). Actually, as we all know it's often difficult to get attention for our books and I'm probably as bad as anyone at promoting others' stuff but, as with your own books and Don's, I always hope to be supportive as these are written by proper fans. At times people see City and think that they'll make some money out of churning out a book and, I've got to admit, I've occasionally been approached by publishers who've said 'let's cash in on' whatever the latest angle is. I've always said no (probably the reason I've not published a book for almost 6 years now - though that will change soon). So when any true Blue writes something that's new or got a different angle I'm keen to see it succeed. As Don has probably said somewhere it's better for fans to write the true stories of the club than some cash-in writer who has probably never known what it's like to stand on the Kippax or to chant about Helen, or who has experienced being penned in in front of United's K Stand as all kinds of crap is lobbed on you from above.

I hope Don's book is successful and I would urge any Blue who has a story to tell or wants to write a book to do it. Don't repeat what's already out there (leave that to those cashing in), get new stories, angles, opinions and so on. There's so much that hasn't been written that it's great when someone does something new. I'm looking forward to your book Don. Cheers
Many thanks Gary .with all the costs involved there is no chance of me makung a profit and next to no chance of breaking even.
I did it because i was pasionate about it and as it is written by City fans for City fans i feeliit is unique i treated it like a hobby and hobbies. cost money but i really wanted to get the fans points across .all of the stories are just brilliant and it is great gettung the views of ordinay fans across .Most of the stories are being told for the first time so it is really fresh it starts in the 50s and goes right up to the present day .what comes across strongly was how shit the fans were treated back in the day .look forward ro what you think of it Gary once you read it regards Don

Last edited:
Before we aproved the cover we sent a copy to 20 City fans for there comments all but one thought it was either excellent .brilliant or really good .everyone said it was straight to the point and fans can fet the gist of the book straight away .i had reservations to start with but it grew in me .since we starting advertising the book about 500 people have seen it and up to now you the only one that doesnt like it .lets hope its like roses and it grows on you ha ha
No offence caused I hope?

Thanks Gary
Absolutely spot on in encouraging others to write - although one thing to add is please do not write in the expectation you will make money! I have never written to make money (as Gary will testify, publishers aren't usually the most generous of givers!) but because I wanted the message getting out there and writing is a labour of love.

I was one of the proof readers for Don's book and with many of the stories from fans in there, it is vital to get these stories out and from the horses mouth. Many of those contributing to it (myself included) are all the wrong side of 50 and once we have departed, our memories go with us, so in writing them down, they are there forever in print first hand.
@oakiecokie chapter is one of the best - great read from a tale set in 1970

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.