Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="Pokes28, post: 9974474, member: 58424"

As for pulling out of the TPP and forcing a renegotiation of NAFTA, I view these as great things. Sure free trade is great. The problem is that rarely do these agreements actually allow for free trade. Case in point, China makes it damn near impossible for US goods to make it into their country. They have the ability to mark any import as something not included in their agreement and run a huge tariff on it. The idea of a free trade world sounds great in a vacuum, but fair trade would be a better aim under the real world constraints. The major trade agreements of the last nearly 30 years have helped in the constant draining of jobs as well as pressures that prevent industry from starting up. I have zero problems with re-evaluating agreements that aren't working for everybody. It is something that should happen more often.

I saw a Mexican politician on the BBC or Sky news earlier pointing out that NAFTA was a 2 way street and that Trump needs to recognise that the benefits between Mexico and the US are nigh on 50/50.

So many jobs drained away that the US economy put on an average of 100k+ jobs per month under Obama and unemployment fell from 11%+ to just under 4% which in economic terms is considered full employment[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, these free trade agreements are nothing more than trojan horses, presenting what on the surface seem to be the obvious and clear benefits of free trade whilst in the background transferring the balance of legal power from nation states to mega corporations.

If anyone doubts that the EU and the Obama administration were not bought and owned whores of mega corporations, then reconcile how they could agree to include in the legal framework of TPP and TTIP, laws giving corporations the right to sue Governments for potential future loss of earnings due to changes in legislation or government policy.

To see where this inevitably leads, ask, how many times would a Government need to be sued for 10s and 100's of millions of pounds/euros/dollars before the Government started to seek and secure approval from these corporations before enacting changes to laws and policy. Then who rules decides the laws of the land?

If President Trump does nothing else in the next 4 years, he has already done more for America and the rest of the world than Bush and Obama did throughout their extended tenure. Strike one for the good guys!

I saw a Mexican politician on the BBC or Sky news earlier pointing out that NAFTA was a 2 way street and that Trump needs to recognise that the benefits between Mexico and the US are nigh on 50/50.

So many jobs drained away that the US economy put on an average of 100k+ jobs per month under Obama and unemployment fell from 11%+ to just under 4% which in economic terms is considered full employment

Unfortunately, these free trade agreements are nothing more than trojan horses, presenting what on the surface seem to be the obvious and clear benefits of free trade whilst in the background transferring the balance of legal power from nation states to mega corporations.

If anyone doubts that the EU and the Obama administration were not bought and owned whores of mega corporations, then reconcile how they could agree to include in the legal framework of TPP and TTIP, laws giving corporations the right to sue Governments for potential future loss of earnings due to changes in legislation or government policy.

To see where this inevitably leads, ask, how many times would a Government need to be sued for 10s and 100's of millions of pounds/euros/dollars before the Government started to seek and secure approval from these corporations before enacting changes to laws and policy. Then who rules decides the laws of the land?

If President Trump does nothing else in the next 4 years, he has already done more for America and the rest of the world than Bush and Obama did throughout their extended tenure. Strike one for the good guys![/QUOTE]

Point taken - you covered off trade agreements there - I agree there was a lot to be wary of every time however thats the way the world works so its a double edged sword. Like women you can't live with tem but it seems you can't live without them.

What about the jobs point I raised? Ant views?

Obama is a whore of corporations and Trump is one of the good guys who, apparently, isn't beholden to any corporation at all.

Someone actually wrote that. Let that sink in for a minute.

Did anyone ever stop to think that maybe corporations have no legal power to enforce the law, while governments retain power to regulate and tax businesses? But, okay, trade agreements transfer the former to companies and completely eliminate the latter, I guess. Whatever you say.

Last edited:
Like a script:

Left: 'We all hate TPP'
Trump: 'I've pulled us out of TPP'
Left: 'What the hell!? I love TPP now!'

Just predictable, but still very sad.

Like a script:

Left: 'We all hate TPP'
Trump: 'I've pulled us out of TPP'
Left: 'What the hell!? I love TPP now!'

Just predictable, but still very sad.

That's incorrect, ttp is shite, however trump wants trade deals that only benefit the US or no deals at all, isolationism is also an impossible model in the modern world.

A TTP can work for the left if it benefits all not the elites, however you are incorrect in the fact that in it's present form as a leftie I am oppossed still to it, not in love with it

[/QUOTE]

If President Trump does nothing else in the next 4 years, he has already done more for America and the rest of the world than Bush and Obama did throughout their extended tenure. Strike one for the good guys![/QUOTE]

I really do think, from my best for UK perspective, that the implications that TTIP would have had if its implementation had been continued by a Clinton administration and we were to still be in the EU are understated. Whatever you think of Trump, derailing this insidious theft and then intended abuse of power and peoples rights is a great result. The fact that he has had the balls to do it at the stroke of a pen gives him a big tick from me - no matter how much I have generally viewed his selection with trepidation.

From a US perspective I really think the 2nd part I have bolded is/ will prove to be absolutely correct.

Just heard Today programme interview about a possible deal with America over meat imports. American guy said they'd been eating beef with growth hormones and chicken washed in chlorine for years and it's done them no harm. No harm? Yeah sure - they elected Trump. (In EU thread too!)

Last edited:
Just heard Today programme interview about a possible deal with America over meat imports. American guy said they'd been eating beef with growth hormones and chicken washed in chlorine for years and it's done them no harm. No harm? Yeah sure - they elected Trump. (In EU thread too!)
Mmmm chlorine.

Over there, over there
We'll take our rancid meat over there.
Cos the yanks are coming, the yanks are coming.
And we'll run your NHS too
While we're over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.