Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and please go and read even the easiest to find documentation of Jefferson's positions on slavery. The Wikipedia page here even gives a basic account of his good morality - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jefferson_and_slavery

You simply don't know what you're talking about OP.
Yes I have just read that Wiki page and note that he only formally freed 2 slaves during his life and allowed 2 or 3 more to 'walk away' or freed 5 more in his will. However after his death 130 more were sold from his estate.

Yes I have just read that Wiki page and note that he only formally freed 2 slaves during his life and allowed 2 or 3 more to 'walk away' or freed 5 more in his will. However after his death 130 more were sold from his estate.

By the sounds of things you haven't read anything on him before and have failed to accurately take in information from that in which I've sent you.

You've massively simplified and cherry picked when stating he barely actually freed many. The truth is opposing slavery was very complex and difficult politically, wasn't wanted by a huge number in the country at the time and him just automatically freeing all of his slaves would have put them in great danger.

Given his situation, and the situation in the United States at the time, Thomas Jefferson was a good man and tried to consistently do the right thing, for slaves and Americans in general.

Does the below sound like someone who supported slavery:

Jefferson was a lifelong advocate of ending the trade and as president led the effort to criminalize the international slave trade that passed Congress and he signed in 1808, a year after the British did the same thing.

In 1779, as a practical solution to end slavery, Jefferson supported gradual emancipation, training, and colonization of African-American slaves rather than unconditional manumission, believing that releasing unprepared slaves with no place to go and no means to support themselves would only bring them misfortune.

In 1784, Jefferson proposed federal legislation banning slavery in the New Territories of the North and South after 1800, which failed to pass Congress by one vote.

Right, can I just state that it is not me who is calling for the removal of these monuments, far from it. It is various African American leaders and speakers, and it is various learned history masters over there who have entered the debate. The thread was not meant to be about Trump but about the debate that has ensued about the history of America itself. I personally am simply amused by the latent hypocrisy that exists in all of us. I guess I should have known better than to mention anything that may be remotely amusing on this forum. Bring back the cellar.

Right, can I just state that it is not me who is calling for the removal of these monuments, far from it. It is various African American leaders and speakers, and it is various learned history masters over there who have entered the debate. The thread was not meant to be about Trump but about the debate that has ensued about the history of America itself. I personally am simply amused by the latent hypocrisy that exists in all of us. I guess I should have known better than to mention anything that may be remotely amusing on this forum. Bring back the cellar.

But you've gone after what you don't truly understand.

Do you think it's hypocritical the British celebrating and having statues of Sir Winston Churchill?

Genuine question.

Do some reading and get back to us...

http://www.history.com/news/how-the-u-s-got-so-many-confederate-monuments

But you've gone after what you don't truly understand.

Do you think it's hypocritical the British celebrating and having statues of Sir Winston Churchill?

Genuine question.
Yes. That's my point. The hypocrite in all of us. I give up now. You can win. I'm off.

Back on topic guys

1*61C9MIg1rsMmgbNEsDykOA.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.