Don't really get the 'Merica hate...

I can see why the OP started this thread, there is a lot of anti American feeling on this board, people ridiculing their gun culture/Trump etc.
America came to our aid in WW2 in a massive way, even before they entered the war they were supplying us with huge amounts of armaments,without which I cannot see how we wouldve kept going.
Its my view that the Nazi's would've invaded Britain quite easily without the Americans, god knows what that would've led too. I actually believe we owe our liberty to the USA. (as well of course to our own forces). I have also no doubt that the Soviets would have swallowed up western Europe by now if not for American protection. People who hate America should maybe figure out which side their bread is buttered.
I once worked in America for a couple of years and I desperately wanted to stay but couldn't get the green card, but I loved my time there, Americans on the whole are a great happy positive race that get things done. They love English people too. I came back to Stalybridge and the whole places felt miserable by comparison (lots of moaning people).
Culturally I felt very much at home, more than I did in Englands neighbouring country...France.
We all benefit in some way from American 'things' be it medicine's, new surgical procedures and surgical equipment,microchips, Jumbo jets and a ton of other inventions/discoveries.
R & B, Blues, Jazz, RocknRoll all came from America......they pay for NASA !
Plus we'd have no Game Of Thrones or a zillion movies without their know how and of course $$ :)

I like America.

No. your're wrong that the Germans would have invaded Britain 'quite easily'. If they had invaded, they would have been lucky to reach London. There were very effective lines of defence all over the south of the country, the RAF was not inaffective, the Royal Navy, which was the most powerful in the world at the time, was almost entirely in home waters in 1940, and would have, with RAF support, completely destroyed the German's ability to re-arm and re-supply their invasion force.

There was a reason the Germans didn't invade Britain in 1940, and it was because they realised they couldn't do it.

The USA was not actively involved in the war at that time and we stood alone in Europe.

That said, I have no problem with Americans as I meet them all the time and they are always polite, well mannered and much quieter than the stereotype often portrayed in Hollywood films, but let's also remember back in 1940, when we were facing our biggest challenge since the Spanish Armada, their conditions for 'lend lease' screwed us royally as they saw a golden opportunity to enrich themselves at our expense.

Yes, they were on our side, and we couldn't possibly have won the war without their assistance, but they had us over a barrel at the time and they took full advantage of it.

For decades, every innovation and trade secret developed in the UK had to be handed over to them, which was smart business on their part, but not so good for the UK.

I don't have a problem with America at all. I think it's a fascinating country. Although we share a language our cultures are quite different.

My mate moved to Dallas about 4 years ago and he now has a good job, owns a house with a pool and really loves his life. I'm due to go and stay with him at some point and try all the fast food places you see on TV.

I dont hate America or Americans. I just think I`d like to slap some commonsense into some of them. Especially the one`s who voted and still support Trump and against any form of reduced gun control.
Also those that think the world is no more than 6,000 years old, or that the earth is flat. In fact all the religious nutters.

Thinking about it they all want a slap especially that loon AustinBlue

I dont hate America or Americans. I just think I`d like to slap some commonsense into some of them. Especially the one`s who voted and still support Trump and against any form of reduced gun control.
Also those that think the world is no more than 6,000 years old, or that the earth is flat. In fact all the religious nutters.

Thinking about it they all want a slap especially that loon AustinBlue

Back of the queue Buddy!

Maybe some people see the over friendliness as insincere and fake.
Maybe some Americans themselves see this and embrace blunt, forthright opinions of people like Gordon Ramsey and Simon Cowell (before their behaviour became completely scripted and diluted by..... Americans!!!)
Sometimes the rabid patriotism, by some, appears to be a little forced.
I wouldn't call it a hatred though. You couldn't possibly pigeonhole such a diverse population.

been 3 times on holiday, NY, Vegas and San Fran recently, absolutely brilliant time and the every person was really friendly - would love to do more visits to the remote areas - it's a shame they have Trump in charge, there healthcare system sounds awful and the police are disgusting

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.