Dutch football youth development - future is bright!

MaineDAWG2008

Was just on my way home yesterday from the gym and my route takes me past a few football pitches in Amsterdam Noord. I happened to notice a few local teams playing on the pitches, full sized articial pitch that is, and even though I have coached kids before, I'd thought I'd go watch a few of the local dutch youth teams play. Albeit the level looked like your normal local youth saturday teams playing but what took me back was the technical ability of these kids. These kids were on another level, believe me....They were under 11's but jeeez, it was like watching a premier league match. The passing, the movement, off the ball, their set peices, the defending, etc. I could go on and on.

These kids were something, in particular this black kid, it was like watching SWP in action. This boy was weaving round players for fun, his ball control and movement brought me to ask one of the parents who he was. Communication was abit of a problem so couldnt really put into context who exactly he was, but i did make out that maybe Almere FC were interested?!. If I was a city scout, id have him and the other players at city anyday. Anyhows, this boy scored 2 goals this game. And as for the other kids that were playing, there seems to be more and more moroccans and turkish kids playing for the local teams and well their ability is also something to admire. As we know the arabs seem to be bigger build than the dutch, and well this defender for the oposing team caught my eye, he reminded me of Samba for blackburn. Big, strong and mobile.

Gotta say, the dutch team will continue to produce excellent talent no doubt about it. Their vision of youth football and ofcourse philosophy is quite technical. They are taught the basics from a very young age and then develop this to a higher level whilst also having fun. Whereas when I coached the under 10's 2 years ago in UK, it was totally different. Kids are told to go have fun and leave it to that. No emphasis on skill, movement, passing, etc.

City scouts should come to the Netherlands and check out the talent.

I really hope Cruijff gets his way to sort out Ajax youth development. Almere FC is kind of a satellite club for talents of Ajax.

The Dutch are brilliant at developing footballers. Half size pitches for youngsters, and emphasise technique, skill, and footballing intelligence, as the fundamental. Its the complete opposite in Britain, where being big, strong, and able to run for hours is preached as the be all and end all. We're stubborn and rigid in our ways, and believe that we can win the World Cup and Euro's, with the same approach as we've used for donkeys of years. I honestly think its to do with the island mentality in this country.

Unknown_Genius said:
The Dutch are brilliant at developing footballers. Half size pitches for youngsters, and emphasise technique, skill, and footballing intelligence, as the fundamental. Its the complete opposite in Britain, where being big, strong, and able to run for hours is preached as the be all and end all. We're stubborn and rigid in our ways, and believe that we can win the World Cup and Euro's, with the same approach as we've used for donkeys of years. I honestly think its to do with the island mentality in this country.

Scandinavia and Germany too. They actually have youth systems in place for the good of the national teams and football in general. Money and greed have ruined any proper youth development here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.