Ederson Moraes - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lad's mentioned the cold and the rain! He sez Lisbon is more 'tropical'. He didn't mention the blazing infernos engulfing Portugal, and nor did he slip in the probability of an earthquake. Yer better off in Manchester, fellah. Can't remember the last time Heaton Park or Boggart Hole Clough was set ablaze, We did have a wee tremor some time back but it didn't completely wreck the city.

As for goalkeeping prowess - the only one I never saw was Frank Swift. I've seen the rest - the Good, the Bad, the downright hopeless, and Bert! Ederson is a little better in the 'twinkle toes' department and his distribution is as good, but I wait with bated breath for the moment he dives full length to his left and catches the ball one-handed - just like Bert used to!

He's still got a fair way to go, but IMO he has all the makings of a world class keeper.

Ederson has been excellent and his ability on the ball has been a key reason as to why we can carve teams open so easily.

One thing we are yet to see a lot of is his long range kicking ability. I think we will do when we play in Naples. They will push high from the first minute next time and I think Pep will look to get runners going deep into Napoli's half with Ederson playing long to them. That will stretch the pitch and conpromise their sarri-press system or whatever the hell you want to call it.

Really?

He might prove to be our best keeper since Bert but he has not been tested as a shot stopper yet in our goals.

I didn't see him play for Benfica. I've seen some clips on YouTube, which are encouraging but far from comprehensive.

I have no reason to doubt his shot stopping ability but I need to see more evidence before concluding on his quality on this key aspect of the keeper's art but if it is as good as the rest of his game, we'll have a keeper.

In the last two Champions League home games, he has made two absolutely outstanding saves imo (one, v Shakhtar was subsequently ruled offside, but he had already reacted, with lightning speed, to the guy trying to flick the ball past him). V Liverpool he was outstanding again, including the red card incident, which, had it been Joe, would have resulted in, at best, a red card for him, arriving too late to win the ball.

Ederson as an averagely skilled keeper, would be way above Joe imo, because he sees things & his brain reacts yards quicker. Joe was the best we'd had for many many years & for all I know, may still be better at rescuing last ditch situations, with miracle saves.

This guy is making those saves 20 yards further up the pitch, by solving the problem before it requires him to desperately knock it off the line with his knob or the hairs on the back of his kneck, whatever. He is saving himself, from having to make saves.

That's why I rate him so highly.

In the last two Champions League home games, he has made two absolutely outstanding saves imo (one, v Shakhtar was subsequently ruled offside, but he had already reacted, with lightning speed, to the guy trying to flick the ball past him). V Liverpool he was outstanding again, including the red card incident, which, had it been Joe, would have resulted in, at best, a red card for him, arriving too late to win the ball.

Ederson as an averagely skilled keeper, would be way above Joe imo, because he sees things & his brain reacts yards quicker. Joe was the best we'd had for many many years & for all I know, may still be better at rescuing last ditch situations, with miracle saves.

This guy is making those saves 20 yards further up the pitch, by solving the problem before it requires him to desperately knock it off the line with his knob or the hairs on the back of his kneck, whatever. He is saving himself, from having to make saves.

That's why I rate him so highly.

I do think that one of the attributes of the very best keepers is being in the right place at the right time so that they don't have to make show stopping saves. Ed has absolutely shown signs of doing that. He made two brilliant interventions against Napoli thanks to both his speed of thought / anticipation and his speed across the ground.

For me though, to be our best in my time, he has to have the shot stopping ability too. I'm not by the way worried that he doesn't because I have seen clips of some fabulous saves but I want to see him do it when we need him to. Of course, the whole point of how City play is that he won't be called on to make many difficult saves but we will at times need him to make match winning saves if we are to win trophies. I still look back to a save Hart made at Everton and think that was crucial in us winning the title.

I am more than a little hopeful that Ederson will prove to be a special player for us and I am certain he is better than Bravo but I do wonder how Bravo would have looked if he had joined us this summer and was playing behind the team as they are now. I still maintain that Bravo was left brutally exposed by failings in front of him. I hope he can regain his confidence because we do need two quality keepers.

I do think that one of the attributes of the very best keepers is being in the right place at the right time so that they don't have to make show stopping saves. Ed has absolutely shown signs of doing that. He made two brilliant interventions against Napoli thanks to both his speed of thought / anticipation and his speed across the ground.

For me though, to be our best in my time, he has to have the shot stopping ability too. I'm not by the way worried that he doesn't because I have seen clips of some fabulous saves but I want to see him do it when we need him to. Of course, the whole point of how City play is that he won't be called on to make many difficult saves but we will at times need him to make match winning saves if we are to win trophies. I still look back to a save Hart made at Everton and think that was crucial in us winning the title.

I am more than a little hopeful that Ederson will prove to be a special player for us and I am certain he is better than Bravo but I do wonder how Bravo would have looked if he had joined us this summer and was playing behind the team as they are now. I still maintain that Bravo was left brutally exposed by failings in front of him. I hope he can regain his confidence because we do need two quality keepers.

I don't think he has any comparitive weaknesses in shot stopping, from what I've seen, but when you reference Joe's save at Everton, for example, if we look back during Pellegrni's title winning season, Joe & Co, cost us a fair few points, with idiotic dithering which, had Ederson been there to command the situation as he does, might have made heroics in other games fairly irrelevant, as the title may have been wrapped up weeks before the end of the season.

Re Bravo, I watched him v Brazil the other night & thought he was absolutely excellent, yet ended up getting replays of a 'fumble' from Alvez' free kick & being caught comically chasing Jesus back in the last seconds, after coming up for a corner.

He is having no luck at all. His keeping & distribution was perfect, rescuing numerous situations, but a free kick which dips in front of him (intentionally to create a rebound) will be the memory.

I recon if you gave Ederson & Joe the same ball to deal with 10 times, even knowing iot's coming, they will fluff several, but because it's bravo, it becomes a comedy mistake.

Imo it was just a brilliantly clever free kick which would catch out most keepers, because their only option is to try & catch it. Very unfortunate for Bravo but very clever from Brazil.

I don't think he has any comparitive weaknesses in shot stopping, from what I've seen, but when you reference Joe's save at Everton, for example, if we look back during Pellegrni's title winning season, Joe & Co, cost us a fair few points, with idiotic dithering which, had Ederson been there to command the situation as he does, might have made heroics in other games fairly irrelevant, as the title may have been wrapped up weeks before the end of the season.

Re Bravo, I watched him v Brazil the other night & thought he was absolutely excellent, yet ended up getting replays of a 'fumble' from Alvez' free kick & being caught comically chasing Jesus back in the last seconds, after coming up for a corner.

He is having no luck at all. His keeping & distribution was perfect, rescuing numerous situations, but a free kick which dips in front of him (intentionally to create a rebound) will be the memory.

I recon if you gave Ederson & Joe the same ball to deal with 10 times, even knowing iot's coming, they will fluff several, but because it's bravo, it becomes a comedy mistake.

Imo it was just a brilliantly clever free kick which would catch out most keepers, because their only option is to try & catch it. Very unfortunate for Bravo but very clever from Brazil.

Ederson hasn't cost us any points yet but he almost certainly will at some point but, whether he does or doesn't, it won't change the need for him to pull off something spectacular at some point to help us win something.

Last edited:
Ederson has been excellent and his ability on the ball has been a key reason as to why we can carve teams open so easily.

One thing we are yet to see a lot of is his long range kicking ability. I think we will do when we play in Naples. They will push high from the first minute next time and I think Pep will look to get runners going deep into Napoli's half with Ederson playing long to them. That will stretch the pitch and conpromise their sarri-press system or whatever the hell you want to call it.
But with this heavy possession style we will see very few long balls from the keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.