Ederson Moraes - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he should have automatically gone to his left rather than right with his "dive": think that would have increased his chances of blocking the shot.

Got to cover your near post, it is criminal if as a keeper you get beat on that side.

EDIT
Just had another look at it and it was a bit further towards the centre than I remember, maybe standing up tall, making yourself big would have been better, ah well shit happens lol

Got to cover your near post, it is criminal if as a keeper you get beat on that side.

I'll never forget Schmeichel going on a massive rant about this on 5Live, "Never get beaten at your near post" is complete rubbish, and no professional keeper is taught that.

Your job is to cover as much of the goal as possible, and if leaving a tiny gap at your near post allows you to cover more of your goal then that's what you do, and if they happen to put the ball in that tiny gap then fine, it's a game of probabilities.

It's become conventional wisdom through Sky punditry, but goalkeepers simply don't hold their near post on a pedestal like that.

I'll never forget Schmeichel going on a massive rant about this on 5Live, "Never get beaten at your near post" is complete rubbish, and no professional keeper is taught that.

Your job is to cover as much of the goal as possible, and if leaving a tiny gap at your near post allows you to cover more of your goal then that's what you do, and if they happen to put the ball in that tiny gap then fine, it's a game of probabilities.

It's become conventional wisdom through Sky punditry, but goalkeepers simply don't hold their near post on a pedestal like that.

Sky punditry eh, didn't realise they used to film sunday league football in Cumbria back in the 90's, try getting beat on your near post and then sitting in the pub the rest of the day, nobody will mention it at all.

Not professional football granted but not everybody is led by the nose by sky tv and the idea existed long before them, sure as fuck our games teacher was always going on about it and that was the 80's.

Sky punditry eh, didn't realise they used to film sunday league football in Cumbria back in the 90's, try getting beat on your near post and then sitting in the pub the rest of the day, nobody will mention it at all.

Not professional football granted but not everybody is led by the nose by sky tv and the idea existed long before them, sure as fuck our games teacher was always going on about it and that was the 80's.

No keeper wants to get done on their near post at any level. I played at the lowest possible level but would be mortified to be beaten on my near post because if you get your angles right and don't commit too early, it's very hard for a forward to squeeze the ball past you on that side.

No keeper wants to get done on their near post at any level. I played at the lowest possible level but would be mortified to be beaten on my near post because if you get your angles right and don't commit too early, it's very hard for a forward to squeeze the ball past you on that side.

Indeed :)

Very, very, very good keeper.

Made a crucial save at the end of the first half (would have likely been a very different match had that shot gone it), came out and dealt with that very dangerous counter in the second half that Ramsey could have scored from), his distribution was breathtaking, and was very unlucky to concede that one goal against Arsenal. Had that slip up where he nearly let the ball throw his gloves on that Iwobi shot on goal but it was only a “nearly” moment, which I will take indefinitely.

We are extremely fortunate to have picked him up.

A tad too cool when collecting his 'clanger' but he's some 'keeper.

Give him a contract extension now.

Still don't get all the ladies swooning for him though but each to their own.

He nearly gave me a heart attack but how good a keeper is he,fantastic and a cool dude,i love his tatts and that he never seems to speak

A tad too cool when collecting his 'clanger' but he's some 'keeper.

Give him a contract extension now.

Still don't get all the ladies swooning for him though but each to their own.
I was actually very happy he was that cool... imagine him scrambling to go for the ball that was bouncing on the line (a la Bravo last season). Instead, he coolly assessed the bounce of the ball, put his body between it and the onrushing Arsenal player, gained possession of it, and then was fouled into the goal.

I think his reaction was an extremely telling sign he doesn’t overreact to mistakes or tense situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.