Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's strange to read these comments as from what I've read in match reports he was very suspect and played pretty poor!

That said most reports have dragged off Ederson as well and given him a rating of 4 despite going on to say he made 3 great saves.
We only really conceded one chance in the time Mangala was on and that was entirely Stones' fault so I don't see what he did wrong.

I would keep him as he is determined to show his worth. He has a mean switch and is physically a beast. I have always seen more potential in him than Stones. But no reason we can;t keep both.

He's a brilliant defender. And his ball control isn't as bad as some claims it is, he's actually pretty good on the ball imo.

He completed around 2.5 long balls per game at Valencia I believe, he also stepped up in games against the big 4 in Spain. He should get a look at with the team this season since we will have proper fullbacks and a goalie that actually can make a save. Mangala focusing on just simple passes along the backline and the few deep passes that Kolarov bangs side to side will be fine next season.

Last edited:
Hope he stays.... Last season we missed physicality on the backline. Vinnie can provide this if he stays healthy.

I would be happy with Vinnie, Otamendi, Mangala, Stones, and Tosin as our cb's.

Kolarov is gone and at this point we only have one first team fb on the team (walker)....we need Fullbacks more than CB's

Lets be honest, he's better than Stones at the moment. Stones has tremendous upside as an overall footballer but Mangala can have a place in the squad. He's had some poor games of course but there have been some tremendous performances as well.

I would keep him as well, when you play some of the taller / less technical teams (scum, stoke, wba) you need someone with a bit of a physical presence to stop us getting bullied..

I had 3 concerns about his play. Just watched the vid and some remain.
1: tackling with the wrong foot: usually with his right foot when being taken on his left flank and is side on
2. His skidded defensive headers, never knew where they would end up...
3. Clumsy challenges near the box ... some of the challenges in the vid would definitely be given by (bent) Prem Refs.
His first touch is not good but not bad either. Despite this he is a natural athlete and adds yet more grit to the defense. Him and Mendy defending the left with Sane hovering! Could be terrifying!

The commentary on bein sports were pretty much slagging him at every opportunity from what i remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.