Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s stealing a wage here now, it sure what pep sees in him. Maybe it’s the Mendy connection??
He’s a huge liability in a defensive situation. I think my 6 year old could skin him.
And to think what you do for a living and you come out with shit like this. Get it you don't rate him, but he is a lot better that you are portraying (poorly)

And to think what you do for a living and you come out with shit like this. Get it you don't rate him, but he is a lot better that you are portraying (poorly)

I realise this site is about opinions and everyone is entitled to their own but some of the crap spouted beggars belief.
If Pep plays him that's good enough for me. Every single City player made several potentially costly mistakes in the game (including de Bruyne , Walker, Sane and Stones when they came on) but some fans seem to have their own agenda (opinion) about which players deserve scapegoating and which don't.
I have yet to meet a City fan who knows as much about player development as Pep so I am happy to trust the manager's judgement.
CTID

When Mangala first arrived & looked like he might be the defender we needed, it all went pear shaped when it was realised that players could just burst past him, even when there seemed no real reason for it.

He went for a full season playing regular football, came back & immediately showed exactly the same weaknesses, as he had before he left.

Why the fuck people are playing the "If Pep thinks he's good enough" card, when Pep tried his best to get rid of him & sign Johnny Fucking Evans, God only knows.

I was calling for him to be given a chance & hoped his strength, pace etc might be very useful to us, if he could get his shit together.

There is absolutely no evidence at all, so far, to suggest he is likely to get his shit together.

I agree with much of what you say. My point wasn't that they're similar, but that both have been written off at various points. In Stones' case, at least, this was premature. That's not to say that Mangala has a future at the club, either.
I understand what you’re saying. I just think that Stones’ problem can be fixed with time, and Mangala’s couldn’t.

When Mangala first arrived & looked like he might be the defender we needed, it all went pear shaped when it was realised that players could just burst past him, even when there seemed no real reason for it.

He went for a full season playing regular football, came back & immediately showed exactly the same weaknesses, as he had before he left.

Why the fuck people are playing the "If Pep thinks he's good enough" card, when Pep tried his best to get rid of him & sign Johnny Fucking Evans, God only knows.

I was calling for him to be given a chance & hoped his strength, pace etc might be very useful to us, if he could get his shit together.

There is absolutely no evidence at all, so far, to suggest he is likely to get his shit together.

Irrespective of our opinions as fans on individual players it is Pep who picks the team and if Pep doesn't rate Mangala he won't put him on the pitch or on the bench. Equally we are not privy to the specific instructions Pep gives to each player before kick off as to how he wants them to play. He always has other options so Pep clearly sees Mangala has a contribution to make to the team if he chooses to play him. IMO Pep looks at the contribution to the team over other aspects of a player's performance.

That's what I meant by my comment "If Pep plays him that's good enough for me." Delph was apparently being touted to Stoke and look at what Pep has now done with him at left back.

IMO I can see an improvement in Mangala this season thanks to Pep's coaching so I'm not ready to write him off. Maybe if you watch again the 54 passes which led to the first goal against WBA in the Carabao Cup (when Mangala passes more than any other player and it is his crossfield pass to Sterling which led to the set up for Gundogan) you might see evidence that sometimes he does "get his shit together".

I have supported City for enough decades to remember central defenders far far worse than Mangala who never got this much abuse from the fans. How many fans are reviewing their opinion about Bravo after Tuesday night and he has made far more costly mistakes than Mangala.

Lets enjoy the feast of football laid before us , even if some dishes are not quite to our individual tastes. We have never had it so good.

CTID

Irrespective of our opinions as fans on individual players it is Pep who picks the team and if Pep doesn't rate Mangala he won't put him on the pitch or on the bench. Equally we are not privy to the specific instructions Pep gives to each player before kick off as to how he wants them to play. He always has other options so Pep clearly sees Mangala has a contribution to make to the team if he chooses to play him. IMO Pep looks at the contribution to the team over other aspects of a player's performance.

That's what I meant by my comment "If Pep plays him that's good enough for me." Delph was apparently being touted to Stoke and look at what Pep has now done with him at left back.

IMO I can see an improvement in Mangala this season thanks to Pep's coaching so I'm not ready to write him off. Maybe if you watch again the 54 passes which led to the first goal against WBA in the Carabao Cup (when Mangala passes more than any other player and it is his crossfield pass to Sterling which led to the set up for Gundogan) you might see evidence that sometimes he does "get his shit together".

I have supported City for enough decades to remember central defenders far far worse than Mangala who never got this much abuse from the fans. How many fans are reviewing their opinion about Bravo after Tuesday night and he has made far more costly mistakes than Mangala.

Lets enjoy the feast of football laid before us , even if some dishes are not quite to our individual tastes. We have never had it so good.

CTID

Pep has only chosen to play Mangala in a cup he has said he wishes didn't exist. When Kompany got injured he chose to play Danilo at CB for the first time in his career rather than play Mangala.

And last year, Pep basically admitted that he was only playing Zabaleta or putting him on the bench because he was a senior figure in the dressing room - from which we can infer that he doesn't want to upset squad harmony by completely excluding players.

If we lose the 1/4 final of the Carabao cup there's a very high chance that afterwards Mangala doesn't play another minute of football until next August.

Pep has only chosen to play Mangala in a cup he has said he wishes didn't exist. When Kompany got injured he chose to play Danilo at CB for the first time in his career rather than play Mangala.

And last year, Pep basically admitted that he was only playing Zabaleta or putting him on the bench because he was a senior figure in the dressing room - from which we can infer that he doesn't want to upset squad harmony by completely excluding players.

If we lose the 1/4 final of the Carabao cup there's a very high chance that afterwards Mangala doesn't play another minute of football until next August.

IIRC Mangala has been named on the bench for most of the Premier League games and came on as a sub v Liverpool. Don't think Pep would put a player on the bench as a potential sub if he didn't have confidence in him if needed but you may be right that that is more a question of squad harmony. Both our opinions are guess work ,only Pep knows his reasoning and his estimation of Mangala as a player and as a team mate and like the City board in Pep I trust.
CTID

IIRC Mangala has been named on the bench for most of the Premier League games and came on as a sub v Liverpool. Don't think Pep would put a player on the bench as a potential sub if he didn't have confidence in him if needed but you may be right that that is more a question of squad harmony. Both our opinions are guess work ,only Pep knows his reasoning and his estimation of Mangala as a player and as a team mate and like the City board in Pep I trust.
CTID

Pep tried to sell him even preferring JFE over him but despite cash offers coming in for him he would only go to Inter on loan meaning we would get no fee again.

The reason he makes a thankfully rare appearance is because we only have two decent fit centre halves and there is nobody else because we thought Kompany had shown he can remain fit. Once we have signed another CH he will never feature again barring injuries until his contract finally runs out. Every time his name features on the starting team sheet it's a struggle.

Also don't go along with those that say he hasn't been given enough chances. He has had loads and there is a reason he goes on loan and nobody buys him.

Last edited:
CTID

We already know Pep's estimation of Mangala. He tried everything, to get rid of him.

In his defence. All the chances he coughed up against Wolves were blatant fouls. The Wolves forward either barged him from behind or clipped his ankles when he was about to pass the ball. It looked awful but the ref hung him out to dry. Also, when he committed, he was left exposed as Zinchenko couldn't get back quick enough.

All that aside, he's not good enough for us and never was suited to Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.