Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by BlueisCity, 21 Jul 2017.

1. mccity

mccity

Thread Killer
    If you're right you get to say I told you so even more than ever ;). You'll be able to pollute the country with your smugness!

2. BlueTG

BlueTG

No I like the lad. Think he isn't half as bad as some make out.

3. The Fat el Hombre

The Fat el Hombre

Fucking awful player. No hope at all

4. Itsaar

Itsaar

Worked for the Queen
    Yes you are, also if you look at what you wrote that is about his level. City get rid, a bad buy, move on.

5. EL APACHE TEVEZ

EL APACHE TEVEZ

To consider we chased mangala and fernando for 12 month the pair have been absolutely shit 50 odd million wasted,well at least we got rid of one.

6. Pablo1

Pablo1

Are we still trying to pretend he’s half decent and has a chance of playing regularly here?

7. mosssideblue

mosssideblue

I think you need to understand what Pep wants from his defenders and then ask yourself does Mangala tick the boxes. Whether 1st or 4th choice every player will be expected to play his style, so do I think we can do better - yes, not because I dont rate Mangala as a traditional defender, but because he simply isn't a pep defender.

8. Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

I will wear his standard until he's shipped out! He needs a fair crack!

9. Cobwebcat

Cobwebcat

He only needs one game and dozens of people will say told you so forgetting all the other disasters. If he gets another run it's just more games for him to smash it into his own net.

10. domalino

domalino

By my count the only fit players in the senior squad left at the club over the international break are :

Mangala
    Tosin
    Yaya
    Foden
    Zinchenko

So Pep and his staff have 12 days to work with Mangala pretty much 1 to 1 and try to turn him into a suitable option for us.

This kind of very intense focus on 1 player is not unusual for Guardiola, there's a great passage in Pep Confidential where he completely breaks down Javi Martinez's defending and drills him for hours until he's doing it Pep's way.

However, Mangala is not Javi Martinez.

This does seem like his last throw of the dice though, he'll be gone in the summer guaranteed, but this would be his last opportunity to have a revival and maybe make it through January and be a part of this teams season.