Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hundreds of times but last time I checked he couldn't see what was behind him without looking.

Mangala is no Xavi believe me.
He could look before receiving the ball and anticipate where his team mates would be. As Mangala did with Ederson last night. Perfectly. If every ticket on the pitch has to look around before every pass, we'd end up playing at half the speed and offering a fraction of the attacking threat.

He could look before receiving the ball and anticipate where his team mates would be. As Mangala did with Ederson last night. Perfectly. If every ticket on the pitch has to look around before every pass, we'd end up playing at half the speed and offering a fraction of the attacking threat.

Agreed but that doesn't apply to passing back to the keeper.

Yes it does, Otamendi and Stones do it every single game.

Symantics.

I'm talking about a pass to the keeper where several seconds have passed between receiving the ball from another outfield player and then hitting it towards the goal at speed without knowing where the keeper is. That can and frequently does result in an OG.

We are talking about different situations.

Symantics.

I'm talking about a pass to the keeper where several seconds have passed between receiving the ball from another outfield player and then hitting it towards the goal at speed without knowing where the keeper is. That can and frequently does result in an OG.

We are talking about different situations.
I'm getting the impression that the only reason you think it's a different situation is due to the player who made the pass, Stones and Otamendi regularly wait to be pressed before playing the ball back to Ederson to break the press, it's an integral part of the plan.

I thought he played ok last night, top pass rate with 95% out all players, some posters are harsh as plenty of passes went straight out of play - Walker passed a cracker to nobody but not 1poster mentioned it but if Mangala had done it he would have been slaughtered.
A lot of players have had some game time but Mangala has to come in and be perfect in all he does or he gets battered, how many opinions have you read on this site that appear in the press as the writer's thoughts just to grab headlines, we are feeding Mangala to the press as it's an easy target, the more the poster dislikes him the more expensive he becomes.
Someone posted stats of him and Ota starting together and if I remember only 3 losses in over 40 games and that was when we were not the team we are now and half of the games were clean sheets, this was prior to him going on loan so there might not be much change to those figures.
Pep having him in the press conference is telling, it's as if he is saying that Mangala is now part of us as team, managers don't just shout into the dressing room if anyone fancies sitting next to me for half hour, he does it for a reason, so that may be that he believes in him, only Pep knows.
I like Mangala and would like him to be become a great player wherever that may be but for now let's get behind him and he may just be a great player for us

I'm getting the impression that the only reason you think it's a different situation is due to the player who made the pass, Stones and Otamendi regularly wait to be pressed before playing the ball back to Ederson to break the press, it's an integral part of the plan.

Well you are incorrect with that impression.

If you pass back to the keeper without looking and he isn't expecting it that is not clever play in the same way that Stones passed to Kompany last season without checking if he was still there and gave a goal way.

Well you are incorrect with that impression.

If you pass back to the keeper without looking and he isn't expecting it that is not clever play in the same way that Stones passed to Kompany last season without checking if he was still there and gave a goal way.
Yet the keeper is coached to think like an outfield player and expect the ball.

Another thing, why does Ederson having advanced from his goal worry you?

I thought he played ok last night, top pass rate with 95% out all players, some posters are harsh as plenty of passes went straight out of play - Walker passed a cracker to nobody but not 1poster mentioned it but if Mangala had done it he would have been slaughtered.
A lot of players have had some game time but Mangala has to come in and be perfect in all he does or he gets battered, how many opinions have you read on this site that appear in the press as the writer's thoughts just to grab headlines, we are feeding Mangala to the press as it's an easy target, the more the poster dislikes him the more expensive he becomes.
Someone posted stats of him and Ota starting together and if I remember only 3 losses in over 40 games and that was when we were not the team we are now and half of the games were clean sheets, this was prior to him going on loan so there might not be much change to those figures.
Pep having him in the press conference is telling, it's as if he is saying that Mangala is now part of us as team, managers don't just shout into the dressing room if anyone fancies sitting next to me for half hour, he does it for a reason, so that may be that he believes in him, only Pep knows.
I like Mangala and would like him to be become a great player wherever that may be but for now let's get behind him and he may just be a great player for us

I thought that about the press conference and that point was made yesterday too but strangely Sam Lee tweeted that Pep does not choose the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.