Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
And? He's lowered the risk by closing the angle.

Hmmmmmm. If I think you are twenty yards away and you are actually five yards away and I hit the ball to you, you aren't thinking I've closed the angle you are thinking why is the ball in the net or at best why have I just smacked the ball right at you.

Fair play to you if you think that's how Pep wants Mangala to play. We disagree.

My point is that one of his weaknesses is that he doesn't appreciate what is going on around him as his reading of the game is well below average. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm. If I think you are twenty yards away and you are actually five yards away and I hit the ball to you, you aren't thinking I've closed the angle you are thinking why is the ball in the net or at best why have I just smacked the ball right at you.

Fair play to you if you think that's how Pep wants Mangala to play. We disagree.
That's exactly how the manager wants the centre halves to play, Ederson leaves his line because he's anticipating the pass, there's no other reason to do it, he also stays in line with his original position to Mangala. This gets him closer to the midfield and the pressing line and simplifies his next pass.

As for smacking the ball, they're top level footballers, they have to be able to trust each other's technique, that's why Hart is gone.

Go watch Guardiola's Bayern and Barca sides play, they hammered the ball at each other at times, trusting in the receivers technique to control the ball, including Valdes and Neuer. Ederson is a better footballer than either of those.

Mangala might never be as cultured as Stones, Boateng or Pique, but he did nothing wrong last night.

That's exactly how the manager wants the centre halves to play, Ederson leaves his line because he's anticipating the pass, there's no other reason to do it, he also stays in line with his original position to Mangala. This gets him closer to the midfield and the pressing line and simplifies his next pass.

As for smacking the ball, they're top level footballers, they have to be able to trust each other's technique, that's why Hart is gone.

Go watch Guardiola's Bayern and Barca sides play, they hammered the ball at each other at times, trusting in the receivers technique to control the ball, including Valdes and Neuer. Ederson is a better footballer than either of those.

Mangala might never be as cultured as Stones, Boateng or Pique, but he did nothing wrong last night.

I'm aware of the point you are making I just don't feel that that incident was part of the plan. We aren't going to agree.

I also think he did plenty wrong last night. His booking was very typical and his marking and anticipation was atrocious.....in my opinion of course ;-)

Put it this way (on the larger issue) we need a centre half. If Mangala were playing for another team would you try to sign him? I think he is a very poor fit and I don't expect to see him play in all but emergencies.

2nd game wasn't it? so what do you expect? he is all we've got to cover and he didn't score an own goal so move along and hope he gets sharper as he goes along

Fair point. Does he not make you nervous at all?

It's one thing passing it 5 yards behind you it's when he is under pressure or has to tackle.

I'm a nervous passenger when I travel Etihad so they all make me nervous at times but, under those circumstances, he doesn't give me the collywobbles. I think he may be a bit nervous because he is under huge pressure, every little imperfection in his performance is magnified.

I think the more game time he gets, the more comfortable he will become. He's not a perfect fit and for that reason he is out fourth choice but I know he and Vinnie can keep a run of clean sheets together so I'm not worried about him.

2nd game wasn't it? so what do you expect? he is all we've got to cover and he didn't score an own goal so move along and hope he gets sharper as he goes along

Just a discussion Karen. No need for anyone to move along...the thread is about him.

He isn't all we have got though last night was perhaps the right decision to play him giving our other games.

I'm a nervous passenger when I travel Etihad so they all make me nervous at times but, under those circumstances, he doesn't give me the collywobbles. I think he may be a bit nervous because he is under huge pressure, every little imperfection in his performance is magnified.

I think the more game time he gets, the more comfortable he will become. He's not a perfect fit and for that reason he is out fourth choice but I know he and Vinnie can keep a run of clean sheets together so I'm not worried about him.

I wish I had your faith and hope you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.