Eliaquim Mangala - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not news,we knew he stayed because we couldn't get anyone else and we know his limtations,he is what he is,in some more physical games likes the rags and v bony later he will be fine,getting on his back is a waste of time,at least pep was a gent and spoke 1 to 1 with him so he feels included,also he has only trained with pep for a few months so he might improve a bit yet,your post reeks of there i told you so
I didn’t say it was news, I’m just reminding posters who’ve had a go at me - and quite frankly it’s be becoming a bore defending what is already known about him on this thread.
Some folk seem to think there’s a bobby Moore in there somewhere against all the evidence to the contrary. He had another good game today and I’m pleased for him. More pleased for us as a team. As far as getting on his back is concerned, he has consistently made the most gaffs I’ve seen (apart from Bravo) these past few seasons so I’m entitled to point them out.

Anyhow, I’ll repeat it again (and again). I hope he keeps up the good work from the past two games.

Mangala had a few great passes today and a few runs in the middle with the ball that really were not out of place in a Pep team. I feel other than training, watching from the bench and slowly understanding how we move the ball around and the role of the CB has hit Mangala like an epiphany.

I think the revelation that the way we defend is not being a defender but by protecting the ball and controlling it in midfield has shown him that the traditional CB role of waiting to be attacked no longer applies as much. The difficulty that Mangala had was shedding his defender mentality and adapt a footballer mentality. The footballer defender is every much a contributor to the tactical board and not just that obstacle to stop opposition from breaking through the line. Otamendi took a while to transition into this mentality but in Mangala's case it was of stubborn habit that made him a liability. There will be times when he will revert back to type but if he gets more games he will build the muscle memory to move around the pitch with the ball and be nimble with his passes and runs.

Good 4th choice CB at the moment and if he is happy with fighting from that role then he's worth keeping. Of course we still need another CB, like van Dijk because Kompany as much as it pains me to say doesn't look like he'll ever complete a full season. Kompany is determined but his muscle issues are going against him. Stones, Otamendi, Mangala and another first choice CB would strengthen us

There's no need to go with any fee except the £32M we actually paid and was in the notes to the accounts that season.
Mangala has contributed whilst Bony did fuck all.

In fairness, Bony and Sterling pretty much dragged us to the top of our Champions League group that season, culminating in when they turned the game around against BMG in the 4-2 win.

Another solid performance last night following on from the weekend lots of positives In particular when he played a ball back to Ederson moved into space to receive the ball and then carried the ball forward and made a lovely pass out wide to Delph, He may not in many peoples eyes be a Pep player but neither was Otamendi and now look at him!! I would really like to see the lad develop and stay with the club because he does have a lot to offer big strong athletic player. Even if it doesn't work out I am convinced that Pep will make him a better player if he does leave.

The clearance he made after Ederson double save won us the game.

He didn't have a single mistake against United, won all the duels as far as I remember and now he have a very good performance away against Swansea. He is the best 4th choice CB you can get and we should appreciate it.

This should be how we view Mangala. We do not expect him to be picked or perform better than Stones, Otamendi, and Kompany on a consistent basis, so we should critique him as a fourth-choice CB. And you are correct, you will not find a better fourth choice CB in the league, bar maybe Chelsea.

Did ok v United to my surprise and nothing to do v Swansea. Could hold the fort in December perhaps but not v Spurs.

Mangala v Kane? Shudders

Maybe Walker or Fern with Ottamendi for me.

If he does play and does well then maybe we do have a 4th choice that will suffice.

Kane is a perfect striker do deal with for Mangala. He hasn't got much pace, his movement without the ball is average, therefore, Mangala shouldn't be caught out of position too often. Mangala struggles against pacey strikers whose movement without the ball is very intelligent. Remember Mangala's debut against Chelsea? He had Costa in his back pocket. Kane is very similar to Costa in terms of their playing style.

Mangala has been great against the rags and Swansea. Otamendi did a howler in the Swansea game and if Mangala had done it he would be getting all kinds of grief.

Mangala had a few great passes today and a few runs in the middle with the ball that really were not out of place in a Pep team. I feel other than training, watching from the bench and slowly understanding how we move the ball around and the role of the CB has hit Mangala like an epiphany.

I think the revelation that the way we defend is not being a defender but by protecting the ball and controlling it in midfield has shown him that the traditional CB role of waiting to be attacked no longer applies as much. The difficulty that Mangala had was shedding his defender mentality and adapt a footballer mentality. The footballer defender is every much a contributor to the tactical board and not just that obstacle to stop opposition from breaking through the line. Otamendi took a while to transition into this mentality but in Mangala's case it was of stubborn habit that made him a liability. There will be times when he will revert back to type but if he gets more games he will build the muscle memory to move around the pitch with the ball and be nimble with his passes and runs.

Good 4th choice CB at the moment and if he is happy with fighting from that role then he's worth keeping. Of course we still need another CB, like van Dijk because Kompany as much as it pains me to say doesn't look like he'll ever complete a full season. Kompany is determined but his muscle issues are going against him. Stones, Otamendi, Mangala and another first choice CB would strengthe[/QUOTE

Delph has worked hard and is now part of this squad I hope this lad takes a leaf out his book and does the same. All down to him and doing what Pep wants him to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.