Eliaquim Mangala

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a top defensive coach could make an absolutely colossal centre back out of Mangala, but not one who is there to spray the ball around, just a defender who keeps it simple, then expands his game, over time.

Don Howe & George Graham would have created a real defender out of him. That's more or less dead these days.

People won't like this, but he'd be a perfect Mourinho CB.

You are probably right, & if he could get his foot into the shape of a 9 iron, then that's all the passing he would need.

I think hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if we were serious about bringing Pep in from 2012 onwards, then why oh why did we buy Mangala? As a player he's the exact opposite to both Pellegrini and Peps style. It made no real sense at the time and looks an even more silly purchase now.

I think hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if we were serious about bringing Pep in from 2012 onwards, then why oh why did we buy Mangala? As a player he's the exact opposite to both Pellegrini and Peps style. It made no real sense at the time and looks an even more silly purchase now.

One of the managers wanted him & the club obliged, same with all the signings we have made imo.

I thought he looked absolutely fine, but unfortunately, his arse went & he never really got it back.

For what it's worth, Mangala could have worked if a fit Kompany was paired with him throughout. Our CB and defensive approach has been very reliant on having a Kompany personality at the back. Even lescott and Boyata looked better with Kompany.

Mangala has the physique and pace to defend, but between Otamendi, Mangala and Stones there is not a lot of reading the opposition player and inciting command of the space as how Kompany does it best.

Mangala just lacks consistency to be classed as one of the best defenders imo. Lyon (or similar level) is the right club for his ability.

Any player that looks like he's got a fucking grenade nestled on his foot is never going to be a top-class defender. Get. Rid.

Good luck to the lad, I will never his MOTM performance against Chelsea.

I think he will do well once he settle and finds a manager who trust him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.