Eliaquim Mangala

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Clercqs, 20 Mar 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bumbleblue

bumbleblue

I would keep him rather than let him go for peanuts. Move kolorocket or maybe otamendi if the stories about offers for him at big money or reasonable money.

2. vonkeynotvenky

vonkeynotvenky

Otamendi is a player I wouldn't be happy selling he's improving game by game. Mangala I haven't been impressed with at all.

3. Cityfan

Cityfan

I don't dislike Mangala and think he's a decent defender, but Peps entire philosophy is based around possession and playing from the back. You have to have every defender comfortable in possession in tight areas to do this and Mangala for all his other attributes is weak in this area and not suited to the way Pep plays football.

4. CrownPointBlue

CrownPointBlue

Where did the player of his Chelsea debut go ??

5. Rolee

Rolee

Still there mate. I recall Benteke being on a hot streak that same season I think, having just come back from injury, he was banging in the goals regardless of opposition, he then came up against the Mangler and didn't get a sniff.

I think this type of man marking role is his biggest strength, it's when he's required to mark space that he struggles and seems all at sea.

6. lasereyes

lasereyes

Agree with this. And have a feeling if he had been the last man facing Costa last Dec, that day would have turned out a whole lot differently.

7. Cotton Weave Blue

Cotton Weave Blue

Bang on.

8. decmancity

decmancity

It is a shame that it looks like he is off, I am really disappointed he hasn't made it for us. Excellent in physical battles and especially when he can get up and close with a striker, his pace is fantastic when it is needed for recovery purposes as well. Rarely played in a settled back four, and was played on the left alongside one of our very average left backs and would be often left facing multiple players down his side. He lost all confidence after a few mistakes and his passing and composure went completely, look at this video for examples that he can play the game, .

If we were sat here today, I think many would be calling to sign him up after watching that video and his performances at Porto.

9. CityFan94

CityFan94

Mangala would be an absolute monster at someone like West Brom, or Palace if Big Sam stayed.

Still has all the physical attributes to be very good in the Premier League, just not a Pep player.

10. MarsLlama

MarsLlama

This is an excellent point. No defender for the last five years has dealt with Ibrahimovic as easily as Mangala did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.