Employee contract question

Manchester la la la la

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone could help me.

I've recently taken up a job role on a 12 month temporary contract with the option to go permanent for the right candidate. Its in an industry I am keen to further my career in but where previous experience is often required and I know that a years experience would go some way to securing a new position if needed in a years time. Its also close to home which is a bonus.

I'm just going through my contract now and it mentions an end date (which is fair enough) but nothing in the contract to indicate that it may go permanent for the right candidate. Is this standard practice for temporary contracts that may go permanent?

Cheers blues

from my experience you'd just get offered a permanent contract if they want to give you one later down the line, sure there are plenty more experienced on here though.

I'm an HR professional. I'd use fixed term as opposed to temporary in this instance. Chances are you'll be kept on. You'll have your six month probation to pass and, depending on politics / finances, one of three things will happen at the end.

1.) You'll be made permanent
2.) Your fixed term contract will extend
3.) You'll be asked to apply for the vacancy and, again, chances are you'll be taken on

Hang around somewhere for long enough and you'll get the gig. Why is it only twelve months now? Maternity cover including time for handover? This almost always happens where I've worked.

I'm going somewhere permanent on a week Monday but have seen this again and again and again. It's just how it is these days. Temp to perm etc.

I'm an HR professional. I'd use fixed term as opposed to temporary in this instance. Chances are you'll be kept on. You'll have your six month probation to pass and, depending on politics / finances, one of three things will happen at the end.

3.) You'll be asked to apply for the vacancy and, again, chances are you'll be taken on

Hang around somewhere for long enough and you'll get the gig. Why is it only twelve months now? Maternity cover including time for handover? This almost always happens where I've worked.

I'm going somewhere permanent on a week Monday but have seen this again and again and again. It's just how it is these days. Temp to perm etc.
Agree it may well be fixed term but worth noting you should also be entitled to same or similar benefits to substantive employees such as performance review and having a clear role profile, working conditions etc. Also worth making sure the contract clearly states when decisions on permanent or not are taken and what criteria is used.
I hesitate to say it will inevitably become full time without knowing who company is, what job is etc. Too many variables can affect that. Best of luck mate and hope you get what you want. Cheers

Agree it may well be fixed term but worth noting you should also be entitled to same or similar benefits to substantive employees such as performance review and having a clear role profile, working conditions etc. Also worth making sure the contract clearly states when decisions on permanent or not are taken and what criteria is used.
I hesitate to say it will inevitably become full time without knowing who company is, what job is etc. Too many variables can affect that. Best of luck mate and hope you get what you want. Cheers

great username.

The fact it's a year makes it seem fixed term over a regular temporary role. We take people for twelve weeks and extend where we can. It's more substantial.

Chances are he has the same conditions as permanent employees. There's no guarantee of the position outright but if you hang around long enough then you tend to get it.

I recruit at the moment (both internally and externally) but I really want to get in to tribunals. Something to thrive on and hopefully get justice each time. I protected someone under my control against bullying once and would do it again tomorrow. She was a 19 year old girl and terrified.

The fact it's a year makes it seem fixed term over a regular temporary role. We take people for twelve weeks and extend where we can. It's more substantial.

Chances are he has the same conditions as permanent employees. There's no guarantee of the position outright but if you hang around long enough then you tend to get it.

I recruit at the moment (both internally and externally) but I really want to get in to tribunals. Something to thrive on and hopefully get justice each time. I protected someone under my control against bullying once and would do it again tomorrow. She was a 19 year old girl and terrified.
She was terrified that you were protecting her?

Spot on.
The job I had before emigrating was a 12 month contract covering maternity leave. Her partner worked there too and just as the 12 months was up, he quietly told me to expect to be given another 12 months. I asked him how he knew that and he replied his missus was expecting again.
I shook his hand and thanked his virility!

I work in recruitment. Yes that's right, there's nothing wrong with the contract having an end date.

You'd get a seperate permanent contract if you were to be offered that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.