Etihad atmosphere

Never going to get an atmosphere with a performance like that. The best atmospheres are always when the team start well like Spurs game.

For some reason we rarely do at home. This season at home results wise has been as poor as I can remember for a long time. Must go back to Hughes days for results as bad.

Other than Bournemouth and perhaps West Ham and even that was late before it was settled, I can't recall one game that we have won comfortably.

We seem to be a different team at home and still struggle to break down well organised sides which Stoke were.

Shawcross was excellent for them last night I thought.

Atmosphere was appalling last night but the amount of empty seats is a huge concern. We have been on a great run of form but last night we had thousands of empty seats. Personally, I think the club need to do something and reward fans who attend games by perhaps giving them credits/discounts against tickets/season tickets.

The number of empty seats towards the end of the game was embarrassing and we're getting panned for it again (rightly)

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/manchester-city-mocked-again-for-empty-seats-at-the-etihad-116424

i agree it was embarrassing. I'm not usually bothered by it, but the sheer number was ridiculous, especially in the family stand. i know it was short notice and some people have genuine reasons, but if we were playing united or some other big team it would have been full.

Be interesting to see the numbers at full time whether it's us or Sunderland crowned as the worst and most miserable fans.

Last night was always going to be a bit flat, relatively late fixture change, people having to change work commitments, shite opposition not interested in playing football and so on. I had to change my working hours myself.
Re the family stand, I just think it's too big and maybe on night games some people don't bring the younger kids because of the late bedtime on a school night.

I was getting texts for most of the second half from reds and scousers taking the piss about empty seats, but really if that's their main ammunition I can still sleep fairly soundly.

Last edited:
Last night was always going to be a bit flat, relatively late fixture change, people having to change work commitments, shite opposition not interested in playing football and so on. I had to change my working hours myself.
Re the family stand, I just think it's too big and maybe on night games some people don't bring the younger kids because of the late bedtime on a school night.

I was getting texts for most of the second half from reds and scousers taking the piss about empty seats, but really if that's their main ammunition I can still sleep fairly soundly.

Not so much Liverpool but United fans need to look at their own club - last season they played a rearranged midweek league game against Palace at relatively short notice (but not as short notice as we were given for our game last night) and there were empties all over the place. One bloke on Red Cafe said he had 12 tickets and couldn't get rid of any of them. Also, Arsenal played a rearranged midweek league game against West Brom last season and it was even worse than that United game and ours last night - reports suggested that up to 20,000 Arsenal season ticket holders sacked it off.

Then again, as I pointed out on Red Cafe this morning, most of those fans that take the piss out of empty seats don't even attend matches themselves which is somewhat ironic.

I'm working g in darlington this week.
So had to miss the game.
I watched the game and have to say the atmosphere was embarrassing.
And the amount of empty seats was equally embarrassing it's no wonder people take the piss out if us.

i agree it was embarrassing. I'm not usually bothered by it, but the sheer number was ridiculous, especially in the family stand. i know it was short notice and some people have genuine reasons, but if we were playing united or some other big team it would have been full.

That Joe article actually offers up some mitigation by saying it happens at other clubs too but I'm not sure they can compare the Barca game to ours for numbers leaving. It's like comparing apples and oranges and I wouldn't mind betting that if that was us in Barca's position knocking on the door and 3-1 up in the 2nd leg of a CL game the vast majority would've stayed. If it was Barca versus a mid-table La Liga side and it was 0-0 with them putting in an underwhelming performance as we were last night, then I reckon a fair few of their fans would've left early. Then again, the early leavers get on my wick more than the empty seats in the North Stand so I can understand some of the criticism from other sources.

Last edited:
I'm working g in darlington this week.
So had to miss the game.
I watched the game and have to say the atmosphere was embarrassing.
And the amount of empty seats was equally embarrassing it's no wonder people take the piss out if us.

The atmosphere was actually half decent in the South Stand - it just didn't spread to other areas of the ground. And I'm not knocking you because you can't help it if you have to work and can't get there but one of those "embarrassing" empty seats was yours! Unless someone else had your ticket of course ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.