Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Threa

What our youth players should at least be in the future is our back up players for every position for our squad, so you have 11 on he pitch who are experienced and top quality and have at least 5 youth team players on the bench who are capable to come on our fill in when necessary..

Marvin said:
Kevin Keegan tried that.

Every conceivable management and sporting angle will have been tried at youth team level as football is big business nowadays. It just doesn't make sense that City will suddenly hit on a winning formula. It's the same staff and the same ideas and systems that circulate.

Probably I have gone over the top in my criticism, but then only in reaction to all the over the top expectations of what can be expected from the new development.

You are right it makes absolutely no sense that City will suddenly hit a winning formula. Does that mean City should not try something new at all? What would your solution be? You seem to be complaining and stating that it works at other clubs, but name me one club where it works and is fighting for the top? It is difficult and the likelihood is that we will only bring through perhaps one or two people every so many years. But that is good enough, we will probably also see many of them sold to other clubs, with a deal that will see us with a buy back opportunity like Barcelona tends to do. Stop complaining and be happy we are making so much progress in the youth department. We are actually trying! The results you can already see, the youth players are going on loan to very good clubs and doing well!!!

The payback is the selling of extremely good players to others whilst continuing to filter for that elusive talent.

Succinctly put. City will be happy to make a financial return for players they have invested in, who don't make the grade. That will make a change!

waspish said:
What our youth players should at least be in the future is our back up players for every position for our squad, so you have 11 on he pitch who are experienced and top quality and have at least 5 youth team players on the bench who are capable to come on our fill in when necessary..
Sure, if they are good enough. If they are on the bench or back ups just because they are youth players, then couple of injuries and we would get battered, especially at CL level, even with current squad we have been battered in CL. (Bayern match last season).

this is not fair i asked what we could expect from the academy and got called a rag . !!!

Sarutaka said:
Marvin said:
Kevin Keegan tried that.

Every conceivable management and sporting angle will have been tried at youth team level as football is big business nowadays. It just doesn't make sense that City will suddenly hit on a winning formula. It's the same staff and the same ideas and systems that circulate.

Probably I have gone over the top in my criticism, but then only in reaction to all the over the top expectations of what can be expected from the new development.

You are right it makes absolutely no sense that City will suddenly hit a winning formula. Does that mean City should not try something new at all? What would your solution be? You seem to be complaining and stating that it works at other clubs, but name me one club where it works and is fighting for the top? It is difficult and the likelihood is that we will only bring through perhaps one or two people every so many years. But that is good enough, we will probably also see many of them sold to other clubs, with a deal that will see us with a buy back opportunity like Barcelona tends to do. Stop complaining and be happy we are making so much progress in the youth department. We are actually trying! The results you can already see, the youth players are going on loan to very good clubs and doing well!!!
It works at clubs which can tap South America and Africa, and which don't have big transfer and wage budgets.

What would my solution be? To throw money and resources at it just like City. I have no issues with the development of the academy, just the unrealistic expectations of fans who think that because we've spent £100 m on a new academy, we'll start producing Messis and Agueros. Aguero made his debut at 15 in Argentina. El Apache Tevez made his debut for Boca Juniors at 16. If you had to prioritise resources it would be 1) Player recruitment 2) Stadium 3) Academy. But luckily we don't, so we can do all 3, but every one can see that in this case 1) is bigger than 3).

City1974 said:
With Liverpool hoping to have an expanded 59,000 capacity stadium for the 2016-2017 season and Spurs a new 58,000 capacity stadium by the 2018-2019 season will City have completed or started work on the North Stand expansion to get capacity up to approx 61,000 by 2016-2017 season, or is it likely that only the South Stand (ready for next season 2015 -2016) will still be the only stand expanded (giving us an approx 55,000 capacity still for 2016-2017) ?

Everything is in place for the North Stand expansion planning wise, in fact a schedule has been shown on here with start options of A, B & C have a look back a few pages There has been no indication from the club, as to start date, but for sure it will be done just a case of when.

Marvin said:
Sarutaka said:
Marvin said:
Kevin Keegan tried that.

It works at clubs which can tap South America and Africa, and which don't have big transfer and wage budgets.

What would my solution be? To throw money and resources at it just like City. I have no issues with the development of the academy, just the unrealistic expectations of fans who think that because we've spent £100 m on a new academy, we'll start producing Messis and Agueros. Aguero made his debut at 15 in Argentina. El Apache Tevez made his debut for Boca Juniors at 16. If you had to prioritise resources it would be 1) Player recruitment 2) Stadium 3) Academy. But luckily we don't, so we can do all 3, but every one can see that in this case 1) is bigger than 3).

I know what you mean because essentially the very top footballers in the world aren't a product of academies they just were born with their talent and it was nurtured through their coaching and development. I don't think the likes of Zidane, Messi, Aguero etc really needed much coaching - they just have the talent. Having said that, to attract those players you still have to be able to offer the top facilities and coaches so that when you knock on the future Messi's door and speak to his Dad - you can say this is where your 14 year old son could play and this is what we can do for him. Our academy has to nurture and introduce talent - the issue in England, and with English players is that the attitudes are all wrong. It's big money early doors, big hype, and England call up and then a drop in levels. I can't think of any player in England under the age of 25 who has had more than one quality season.

Our approach with education and mentality should be able to address part of that. Through quality coaching and constant practice at a young age you can become a brilliant footballer. Yes you need some natural ability but when you look at Milner for example, he lives his life free of alcohol to ensure he performs to the best of his ability on the pitch. He isn't as blessed as Silva in terms of natural technique but his work ethic mean he is a quality player who has shown his worth both domestically and in the CL. Manchester is a big place. The likes of Pique, Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta didn't grow up far away from the club they ended up playing for. They had the right coaching and the right natural ability. There's no reason the same can't happen with City - we just have to change how we coach and what we look for - which is what we have done. It's not some 6ft 15yr old who wins every header and can kick it a mile. It's not some 5ft 100m sprinter who can chase the ball over the top and score - it's about testing their first touch, their passing and developing their awareness of the game and tactics. That seems to be what's happening and when you see what else the academy is doing in terms of community projects these should be well-rounded individuals. Our younger players seem to speak with a lot of maturity. It will still be a balance of purchasing players and producing our own talent but we are in a position to attract and develop top young footballers.

supercity88 said:
Marvin said:
Sarutaka said:

I know what you mean because essentially the very top footballers in the world aren't a product of academies they just were born with their talent and it was nurtured through their coaching and development. I don't think the likes of Zidane, Messi, Aguero etc really needed much coaching - they just have the talent. Having said that, to attract those players you still have to be able to offer the top facilities and coaches so that when you knock on the future Messi's door and speak to his Dad - you can say this is where your 14 year old son could play and this is what we can do for him. Our academy has to nurture and introduce talent - the issue in England, and with English players is that the attitudes are all wrong. It's big money early doors, big hype, and England call up and then a drop in levels. I can't think of any player in England under the age of 25 who has had more than one quality season.

Our approach with education and mentality should be able to address part of that. Through quality coaching and constant practice at a young age you can become a brilliant footballer. Yes you need some natural ability but when you look at Milner for example, he lives his life free of alcohol to ensure he performs to the best of his ability on the pitch. He isn't as blessed as Silva in terms of natural technique but his work ethic mean he is a quality player who has shown his worth both domestically and in the CL. Manchester is a big place. The likes of Pique, Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta didn't grow up far away from the club they ended up playing for. They had the right coaching and the right natural ability. There's no reason the same can't happen with City - we just have to change how we coach and what we look for - which is what we have done. It's not some 6ft 15yr old who wins every header and can kick it a mile. It's not some 5ft 100m sprinter who can chase the ball over the top and score - it's about testing their first touch, their passing and developing their awareness of the game and tactics. That seems to be what's happening and when you see what else the academy is doing in terms of community projects these should be well-rounded individuals. Our younger players seem to speak with a lot of maturity. It will still be a balance of purchasing players and producing our own talent but we are in a position to attract and develop top young footballers.

That's a great post and sums up (far more eloquently than I could) exactly what the new facilities will do for our great club! Nice one!

Marvin said:
Sarutaka said:
Marvin said:
Kevin Keegan tried that.

Most academies, including ours, haven't been good enough, that's why we changed.

It's not an unrealistic expectation that we may produce a Messi or an Aguero, but it won't happen very often. But if anyone in this country can find one, our chances of being that club have gone up quite a lot recently, & are about to do so again, by quite a lot more.

But most of City's team isn't made up of Messis & Agueros. It's made up of Milners & Kolarovs with a Nasri & Navas & the occasional Silva or Yaya.

Would I expect us to produce some players who reach that level ? Yes. I'd be surprised if we don't have some now from what I've seen. Are they ready to start games for the first team ? No.

So we have to decide whether we start putting them in the first team squad, which would probably be necessary with some next season, or we have to find a hell of a lot of good clubs to loan them to, as we have a hell of a lot of quality coming through in the next few years.

But the idea of players not coming to City's academy because they don't play in our first team is a joke. They will get the best coaching, the best facilities, a free top class education & then placed at clubs to further their future careers if they don't make it at City.

I've said it before any parent who doesn't want their kid to come to City's academy is a total dickhead (or a very bitter rag).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.