Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only assume this is some kind of post-modern satirical wind up holding a mirror to the increasing sense of entitlement among City fans?

It can't be serious, surely?

We've got the best owners in the history of football. Took us from mid table obscurity to Premier League champions in 3 years. Bought us a galaxy of players we could only dream about. Have just appointed the best manager in the world. Have spent over £500m improving the infrastructure of the club, extending the stadium at huge cost to increase affordable tickets for local fans. Built the best football training and youth facility in the world, while helping to re-develop a contaminated local eyesore. Invested more in to the local community than any club in the country.

And you're complaining about some snagging issues and a roof that doesn't match?

You forgot the blue shorts ^ in your list of what our owners have given us

I forecast a number of posts along the lines of "what have the Roman's ever done for us?........."

Joking aside - I am firmly in the camp that our owners can do no wrong. Lets just enjoy this new life that we are able to get used to (some even carp about) entirely down to the Sheik. His biggest gift was asking Khaldoon - one of his most trusted senior aides and someone used to working at heads of state levels - to take responsibility.

I forecast a number of posts along the lines of "what have the Roman's ever done for us?........."

Joking aside - I am firmly in the camp that our owners can do no wrong. Lets just enjoy this new life that we are able to get used to (some even carp about) entirely down to the Sheik. His biggest gift was asking Khaldoon - one of his most trusted senior aides and someone used to working at heads of state levels - to take responsibility.
Whilst being extremely grateful and priviledged to have the owner we have, I'll reserve the right to think for myself if that's ok with you?
"I am firmly in the camp that our owners can do no wrong" - everyone can get the odd thing wrong - doesn't mean discussing it is an insult. Some people get so precious about this.

15 years of a tacky, half-finished job when Abu Dhabi can do so much better.

Comparing the effort they put into their F1 track and the effort they put in to Etihad Stadium & the leisure site in 8 years, well there's no comparison.

They should have done the whole thing in one go and sod empty seats jibes, Spurs, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca will all have better stadiums than us even when we're finished.

There would have been thousands more tickets to give back to the local people at affordable prices who they've priced out in recent years, but no, we have to make do with a takeaway tray of a roof and a half-finished South Stand for over a decade. What an impression we'll make on the world stage whilst the others show off their brand new, purpose built arenas.

I keep repeating this but last night proved once again that there is no point in building a 75-80,000 stadium just yet given the poor transport infrastructure around the site.

Given the fact that trams have only arrived in the last couple of years when they were originally envisaged as being there for the Commonwealth Games I wouldn't hold your breath.

It probably will be 15 years and I'm sure that will frustrate our owners as much as us but this is Manchester and not Abu Dhabi and everything is not in their control.

Chelsea and Spurs will have better and more modern stadiums than us but once the North Stand is completed they won't be any bigger than The Etihad. The difference won't be like the difference that exists today between The Etihad and Stamford Bridge or White Hart Lane. It's frustrating but it's not game changing. The Etihad is still quite an impressive arena.

I keep repeating this but last night proved once again that there is no point in building a 75-80,000 stadium just yet given the poor transport infrastructure around the site.

Given the fact that trams have only arrived in the last couple of years when they were originally envisaged as being there for the Commonwealth Games I wouldn't hold your breath.

It probably will be 15 years and I'm sure that will frustrate our owners as much as us but this is Manchester and not Abu Dhabi and everything is not in their control.

Chelsea and Spurs will have better and more modern stadiums than us but once the North Stand is completed they won't be any bigger than The Etihad. The difference won't be like the difference that exists today between The Etihad and Stamford Bridge or White Hart Lane. It's frustrating but it's not game changing. The Etihad is still quite an impressive arena.
It's poor the club could be held back because of poor public transport, for me the club should push ahead with rebuilding extending the stadium, and also keep on at the council to improve the public transport around the stadium, you never know, if TfGM do take more control over public transport next year, we may see it improve.

Aside from the roof which can't be heped until they expand the north stand, I'm quite fond of the way the Etihad looks(it's ours) wouldn't want a boring bowl shape or office block looking one... It's kind of iconic now, other fans know it instantly as our ground and theres history there now too.

I think the Etihad is a great looking stadium, especially inside. Exterior very tatty but with all the new LED technology, could be made to look wonderful with investment.

Transport infrastructure is a major problem, but so is it at a vast majority of English stadia. The UK does not do transport well. We should follow the example of the German clubs, who include free public transport to the stadiums in their ticket price.

I think the Etihad is a great looking stadium, especially inside. Exterior very tatty but with all the new LED technology, could be made to look wonderful with investment.

Transport infrastructure is a major problem, but so is it at a vast majority of English stadia. The UK does not do transport well. We should follow the example of the German clubs, who include free public transport to the stadiums in their ticket price.
Been to Hamburg game (not a City match) and Germans do have the transports sorted, shuttle buses from the ground to the local station, then a train (about 8 to 10 coaches long) back into the city centre, and all free of course. But the transport system in Hamburg is way ahead of the system in Greater Manchester. It's strange to think how bad the transport, ie rail/metro, buses and roads are around the stadium, with it only being built in 2002/2003 !

I can't seen the extension being completed until the Metrolink 2nd crossing gets completed. Manchester City Centre is a no-go zone.

I wish they'd have put it all underground. Overground the Metrolink is so disruptive during construction and takes priority over other road users. Perhaps the worst of the construction is over now though. St Peters Square is nearing completion (5 or 6 months I think). Once the Metrolink is fully operational and roads re-opened then I think the extension can go ahead. If it's warranted. 54k average last season suggests it is already needed.

It's poor the club could be held back because of poor public transport, for me the club should push ahead with rebuilding extending the stadium, and also keep on at the council to improve the public transport around the stadium, you never know, if TfGM do take more control over public transport next year, we may see it improve.

TfGM will just add more bus lanes and we will end up with more almost empty buses using them They need to look at traffic flow get rid of bus lanes and educate drivers to get through green lights instead of leaving gaps and stopping to let cars out of side roads when the lights in front of them are on green I could go on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.