Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

JRB do you know if there are any cladding issues regarding the towers going up in Manchester? Do modern buildings use the same materials implicated in London?

I have noticed a lot of buildings going up in Manchester at the moment. I live in St Johns gardens so very aware of it at the moment. Surrounded on 3 sides by big developments but tbh I like all 3 (Spinningfields, St Johns and a little futher away at Owen St?). I heard Gary Neville's plans had a setback though.

Like all towns and cities across the UK the 10 councils of Gtr Manchester are checking the cladding on their tower stock. So are property developers.

Salford is of concern. Especially the group of towers near Salford Sopping City, etc. (MEN article) They have all recently been reclad. So have many old residential towers across Gtr Manchester.

The new towers should be OK. Most have glass and brick exteriors. Those that have exterior block or panel cladding will be checked. Worsley will confirm this. Most if not all of the new towers and large apartment blocks have sprinkler systems, easy access fire escape routes and proper fire doors, etc.

Yes, Make Architects have been replaced by Stephen Hodder Architects. Neville has bowed to public pressure. Complete redesign of the proposal. Thankfully.

I was chatting to someone today who told me that the plan is to turn Eastlands into the focal point of Team GB
Apparently he's seen the plans that is to build TWO Olympic size (50metre) swimming pools where the gas towers are

To put in perspective of how unusual a 50m pool is, there are only two in GM at the moment, Manchester and Stockport
The next closest is Liverpool

I was chatting to someone today who told me that the plan is to turn Eastlands into the focal point of Team GB
Apparently he's seen the plans that is to build TWO Olympic size (50metre) swimming pools where the gas towers are

To put in perspective of how unusual a 50m pool is, there are only two in GM at the moment, Manchester and Stockport

The Aquatic centre has two 50m pools. One is subterranean.

The Aquatic centre has two 50m pools. One is subterranean.

latest

That's pretty interesting...wonder (if this comes to fruition) what will happen to the Aquatic centre (it's a 50 metre pool, with a 50m training pool below, because COMAST and the Paralympic team train there - those teams would surely move to a new facility). That whole area (around the Aquatic Centre) is being redeveloped on a large scale (Uni/MMU), but I'd hate to see that go - it's a wonderful facility.

This is currently being built next to the MAC:

800_aerialview.jpg

How recent are those plans?

I'd still like to see something like a tennis centre built (would one fit in now?). Irks me somewhat to see tennis broadcast live from London this week (Queens) for it to be broadcast once again from London in a couple of weeks (Wimbledon).

Interesting. Some of the matters in this document have been discussed in the Manchester Evening News before but I haven't seen the document itself. It's expressed to be a draft for consultation so if they're now sending out letters about it, presumably the public consultation has started.

These types of documents are always aspirational and short on detail, and inevitably not everything in them comes to pass. Nonetheless, the Campus, the Beswick Hub and the sixth-form college from previous versions of the Eastlands Regeneration Framework have become a reality. Discussions have been ongoing with MMU and other parties for several years about the possibility of some kind of sports university at the Campus, so I suspect this is already well past appealing to people to consider something. I believe they'll have quite a definite idea of the facility they want to create and people lined up to help create it. Of course, making it happen is still another matter and could involve substantial challenges.

What's clear is that they see the educational development as key to stimulating further development on the collar site and possibly the north car parks. Any announcement about the initial stage of the latter would seem unlikely to precede the announcement of the university, but perhaps some new sports and commercial facilities (an arena and conferencing space, perhaps) might be built concurrently with the educational facility.

I see that they haven't completely rowed back on the 'leisure and tourism destination' aspiration. There's a reference to "successful destination leisure and tourism attractions" that "internationally distinctive in content and scale". Notably less effusive language, however. The prospect of operation round the clock, also associated with attractions in previous documents, also gets a mention here.

The prospect of relocating the athletics arena and other sports facilities to make way for commercial development has been dropped from proposals made in previous documents. And while there's a mention of a hope to attract sports governing bodies to Manchester, the idea of a 'House of Sport' building at the Beswick Hub to house them doesn't seem to be referred to (I've only scan read it, though, so maybe I missed something).

Parking is going to be a major challenge. I see they say they hope to get more people using Metrolink, and that presumably includes the mooted new tram-train line from Marple, which would stop at Ashburys and a new Beswick stop before heading to the stop at Piccadilly station. However, the conversion of heavy rail for tram-trains in the UK is currently subject to a trial in South Yorkshire that was supposed to start ages ago and seems to have been delayed time after time (not sure what the latest status is). So it's going to take quite a while before we'll have any new Marple trams coming this way.

Eh up Petrusha. Good to see you back.
This thread went really quiet and I guess plans are constantly being reviewed/revised, but it seems there's a lot brewing in the background.
I thought this development would start first then we'd see a knock on effect in Manchester itself...but the scale of development in the city is incredible (reports suggesting they've 'ran out of builders' and are importing from other regions) suggesting the other way round.

That's pretty interesting...wonder (if this comes to fruition) what will happen to the Aquatic centre (it's a 50 metre pool, with a 50m training pool below, because COMAST and the Paralympic team train there - those teams would surely move to a new facility). That whole area (around the Aquatic Centre) is being redeveloped on a large scale (Uni/MMU), but I'd hate to see that go - it's a wonderful facility.

This is currently being built next to the MAC:

800_aerialview.jpg

How recent are those plans?

I'd still like to see something like a tennis centre built (would one fit in now?). Irks me somewhat to see tennis broadcast live from London this week (Queens) for it to be broadcast once again from London in a couple of weeks (Wimbledon).
The aquatics centre is a community facility that's Council run, so it would still be utilised. And when that was built the Council closed three or four other pools
The council has a responsibility to provide water space for the general public
If the paralympic team moved out, the pool would lose some income, but it would still have to be operational

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.