EU referendum deal (title edited)

I haven't read enough into it to know what the majority opinion seems to be at the moment. Do more people want to stay in or exit the EU?

And what are the real benefits of exiting? At the moment i think id vote to stay with the EU, but im not even sure why

Personally I want to stay in.

It has a lot of good but also bad. Staying in protects a lot of employment rights. Downside is corporates have started lobbying the EU and agreements such as TTIP are worrying developments.

Sadly I can see the debate being pushed down the immigration route and parties such as UKIP capitalising on it.

Personally I want to stay in.

It has a lot of good but also bad. Staying in protects a lot of employment rights. Downside is corporates have started lobbying the EU and agreements such as TTIP are worrying developments.

Sadly I can see the debate being pushed down the immigration route and parties such as UKIP capitalising on it.

Employment rights mean nothing if you don't have a job.

The EU has terrible unemployment problems and in the UK many peoples terms and conditions of employment have suffered greatly because of the freedom of movement of labour.

Here is Labour's Jack Straw admitting this.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/13/jack-straw-labour-mistake-poles

The EU is good for elites and big business. It is bad for everyone else.

I haven't read enough into it to know what the majority opinion
This is the problem politicians will have. Most people do not know much about it and a lot will make their minds up at the last minute probably for the wrong reasons.
I am against it as I don’t want federalisation. I don’t want a European army. I don’t want a European police force. I don’t want European wide VAT policy. I don’t want open borders. I do want single market access and this is still possible without EU membership. Ask Norway.

Majority of people that I know want out of the EU solely because of immigration. They don't care about anything else.

The EU has terrible unemployment problems and in the UK many peoples terms and conditions of employment have suffered greatly because of the freedom of movement of labour.

The recent TTIP deal enforces that view.

A friend of mine was asked to participate in a debate on liberalisation of European railways and his view after the meeting was "They are all for it as long as the trains are Belgian and they are run by Germans"

I'm lucky enough to be in a job where I can travel around Europe very easily and cheaply so I'm also attracted to staying in for the social aspect. There's no doubt I'd lose some of those privileges by a get out vote winning.

I'd like the government to tell us what would happen should we vote no with regards to laws and rights. Both the perceived good and bad.

This is the problem politicians will have. Most people do not know much about it and a lot will make their minds up at the last minute probably for the wrong reasons.
I am against it as I don’t want federalisation. I don’t want a European army. I don’t want a European police force. I don’t want European wide VAT policy. I don’t want open borders. I do want single market access and this is still possible without EU membership. Ask Norway.
Excellent post, and why though I voted yes first time round will be voting to leave this time.

Have you got an example of how people's terms and conditions of trade have been affected by freedom of movement labour?

And please don't try and imply cheap labour in the UK is a result of immigration when it's the government who decides what the minimum wage is. Migration has done a hell of a lot to benefit our economy and saved a number of industries who had vastly under qualified staff. NHS is a prime example of an industry that about ten years ago was starved of a number of qualified staff and benefitted from highly trained Europeans and beyond coming here and working.

Don't get me wrong there are pros and cons to freedom of movement but the benefits far out weigh the cons for me.

My main concern with the EU is centralisation of power in Brussels and non democratically elected EMPs.

Have you got an example of how people's terms and conditions of trade have been affected by freedom of movement labour?

Read the guardian article by Jack Straw that I linked to in my last post.

Are you suggesting that allowing a vast new supply of workers to enter the UK had no effect on pay, terms and conditions of those already here?

If EU membership so good for workers, why have we seen a stubbornly high unemployment rate, a vast increase in zero hours contracts and much more underemployment on short hours?

And why did every older EU country except the UK, Sweden and Ireland ban immigration for workers from newer ones like Poland in 2004?

The EU is good for big business.

If you are a big business boss then vote to stay in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.