EU referendum

• In

Votes: 503 47.9%
  • Out

Votes: 547 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll pass on those reassuring stats to the 34% unemployed youth in Portugal ( that's after a couple of hundred thousand people have had to migrate for work in the last 2 years). Growth is now being measured from unprecedented lows... Switzerland and Norway are doing well however and if I'm correct are the two richest countries in the eu on a gdp per capita basis - they have somehow found a formula to thrive outside the club, must be just good luck...

I've mentioned before my wife is Swiss and her dad was just staying here and he is a bit passive on most issues but on the mention of the Eu he goes into a fit of abusive language, he voted to curb inward migration 2 years ago in the referendum and Brussels pissed it back in their face....I hope you know what you're voting for...

Norway's growth at 0.6% ( below most EU countries ) and Switzerland at 1.9% which seems around about average.

As for your father in law, the whole thing shows that even if we vote out, we will probably have to comply with the EU anyway!.

I am not sure Thomas Jefferson , those loyal to the mother country, the Mexicans , the French, the Spanish, those pushing for a German colony and the purchased Alaskans would necessarily agree to be fair. Germany as well is another conglomerate pulled together as a union for political and economic reasons in the not too distant past

You are knit picking there. As you full well know the EU is a very different thing. You simply cannot virtually, even by stealth delete 28 different countries and make them as one, within those countries there are vastly differing cultures values and beliefs that people hold dear. Putting the whole economic argument aside just socially what is intended will not work. Even less so when you factor in whole populations from beyond many of completely different beliefs roll up and settle in these nations. This isnt racist or xenophobic its fact fully proven by history over thousands of years.

People dismiss the idea that the whole thing could go up in civil war.....they are fools, you would be surprised how quickly what from the outside looks to be a peaceful society suddenly turns into a bloody awful mess, as those who lived in the former Yugoslavia know. I am not saying in 10 years Manchester is going to look like Homs, but there are parts of this union that could very well go that way, the whole thing is a pandoras box and we are best off out of it.

Eu not unstable! Not sure where you're getting your data from Grunge? It's in the A&E ward at the moment! Even the founders and federalists of the EU openly state that the Euro should never have been introduced without the accompaniment of fiscal and political union - the only growth in the Eu is the rise of the far right and left. You will see a continual shift of business and labour to the eastern countries and when the 'super basket cases' eventually join even more jobs will be lost in Western Europe to cheaper labour.

The government is fortunate that the complexities and ills of the Euro design are beyond the general public as otherwise it would be a landslide to leave - People say but it won't effect the UK but it will have knock on effects to the non Euro zone countries when they inevitably have to integrate further together.

The effects on the Euro and dollar as you state are irrelevant that's just what currencies do and they correct themselves, you do realise that all central banks have been desperately trying to devalue their currencies anyway - the ECB would be delighted to see the Euro devalue as its the only way they have any chance of clawing their way out of stagnation.

In a nutshell, the above, more than anything else is the reason why I am still considering a Leave vote. The $64,000 question is whether the Euro will collapse, or whether to save it, it will drive the member states to ever closer union. The jury is very much out on that but the amount of money Germany would need to pump in, should Italy go the way of Greece for example, I think would be politically unacceptable - the German public would never wear it. So imho if Italy fails, then the Euro is dead. Itlay would have to exit the Euro so they could devalue their currency, and if Italy went, Spain, Portugal and Ireland would surely follow. The Euro would be finished. And Italy is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

Norway's growth at 0.6% ( below most EU countries ) and Switzerland at 1.9% which seems around about average.

As for your father in law, the whole thing shows that even if we vote out, we will probably have to comply with the EU anyway!.

Ok so Greece's growth has been about 1% so there better than Norway, Albanians growth may be 1.8% so I'll leave Switzerland asap and head down to Albania which is a much better option! Sorry but I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest, those countries are light years ahead of most of their eu compatriots in terms of living standards and wealth per capita and the point I was making is that they have managed this miracle outside of the eu

Ok so Greece's growth has been about 1% so there better than Norway, Albanians growth may be 1.8% so I'll leave Switzerland asap and head down to Albania which is a much better option! Sorry but I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest, those countries are light years ahead of most of their eu compatriots in terms of living standards and wealth per capita and the point I was making is that they have managed this miracle outside of the eu

what growth figures are you using? Greece is in recession with negative GDP.

What am I trying to show, stability, steady growth is economic stability, all EU countries bar Greece are growing nicely at the moment, Growth is growth, nowt to do with currently levels of standard of living, but the faster that growth the faster those countires will get a better standard of living, those EU counties with poorer economies that are growing quickly will over the long term increase the EU economy.

In a nutshell, the above, more than anything else is the reason why I am still considering a Leave vote. The $64,000 question is whether the Euro will collapse, or whether to save it, it will drive the member states to ever closer union. The jury is very much out on that but the amount of money Germany would need to pump in, should Italy go the way of Greece for example, I think would be politically unacceptable - the German public would never wear it. So imho if Italy fails, then the Euro is dead. Itlay would have to exit the Euro so they could devalue their currency, and if Italy went, Spain, Portugal and Ireland would surely follow. The Euro would be finished. And Italy is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

It's quite sad really when this referendum will be based on expats concerns about getting their hands on marmite if we leave the eu and people thinking that companies whose sole purpose is to retain and increase shareholder value are going to stop trading with the UK, yeah right! The problem is not the UK, not Europe but the EU project having overstretched itself into a direction that has mixed up political ambition with economical incompatibility. the other points such as migration,security,sovereignty all stem from this fundamental problem.

They should be honest and let the people of the EU know how this will end with political and fiscal union and then let them vote on that, if that is the will of the people of the eu then so be it but the remain camp want to live in this halfway house with DC's opt outs which is being portrayed as an invisible force field that will shield them from the inevitable.

what growth figures are you using? Greece is in recession with negative GDP.

What am I trying to show, stability, steady growth is economic stability, all EU countries bar Greece are growing nicely at the moment, Growth is growth, nowt to do with currently levels of standard of living, but the faster that growth the faster those countires will get a better standard of living, those EU counties with poorer economies that are growing quickly will over the long term increase the EU economy.

I didn't bother looking up the growth figures because they're irrelevant, your just stating an economic photo of the latest quarterly figures that's not how you asses the well being of an economy, if you took it over a 5 year period that would give you a much better reflection on the direction of an economy - with respect to the rest of your statement the workings and requirements of the euro will not allow this exponential growth in the poorer countries as you will continue to need massive diversifications of capital to sustain this growth from the richer countries causing social and political unrest there it's just a vicious circle- everything comes back to the currency it begins and finishes there.

It's quite sad really when this referendum will be based on expats concerns about getting their hands on marmite if we leave the eu and people thinking that companies whose sole purpose is to retain and increase shareholder value are going to stop trading with the UK, yeah right! The problem is not the UK, not Europe but the EU project having overstretched itself into a direction that has mixed up political ambition with economical incompatibility. the other points such as migration,security,sovereignty all stem from this fundamental problem.

They should be honest and let the people of the EU know how this will end with political and fiscal union and then let them vote on that, if that is the will of the people of the eu then so be it but the remain camp want to live in this halfway house with DC's opt outs which is being portrayed as an invisible force field that will shield them from the inevitable.

Now that's where I disagree with you. Ever closer union is far from inevitable, and in fact you could even argue that it's unlikely. If the Euro fails - and I think it's 50-50 at the moment as to whether that will happen - then the EU will change radically. The whole "project" - which at it's core has been all about full political and economic union; the creation of a federal United States of Europe - will be destroyed. The EU will have to reinvent itself and probably into a form that the UK would find eminently more in line with what we want, i.e. a collaboration amongst sovereign states to freely trade amongst themselves. if the Euro goes, the very raison d'etre for most of the things we loathe about the EU, goes away with it.

Now that's where I disagree with you. Ever closer union is far from inevitable, and in fact you could even argue that it's unlikely. If the Euro fails - and I think it's 50-50 at the moment as to whether that will happen - then the EU will change radically. The whole "project" - which at it's core has been all about full political and economic union; the creation of a federal United States of Europe - will be destroyed. The EU will have to reinvent itself and probably into a form that the UK would find eminently more in line with what we want, i.e. a collaboration amongst sovereign states to freely trade amongst themselves. if the Euro goes, the very raison d'etre for most of the things we loathe about the EU, goes away with it.

So what do you have against leaving the EU now, in its current form, and rejoining a European community of free trade (haven't we voted on one of those before...) if the Euro goes tits up? We'd be voting out of a doomed political union and eventually into a good trade union.

So what do you have against leaving the EU now, in its current form, and rejoining a European community of free trade (haven't we voted on one of those before...) if the Euro goes tits up? We'd be voting out of a doomed political union and eventually into a good trade union.

Well, I am undecided.

Reasons not to leave are that if we do leave, the markets will be in the doldrums for years and with it my investments and pension. We'll be back into recession and staying in recession. There's no way on planet earth we are negotiating any kind of trade agreement within less than 5 years and probably 10. Many major employers will decamp, unemployment will rise.

Other than that, it'll be marvellous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.